Fighting Clowns and Nas. Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
The first fish to inhabit my 90g fowler was a brown saddle clown. He had the tank completely to himself for a good month or two until a bristle toothed tang joined him with no problems.
Last week I added a smaller clown (can't remember the exact breed) who is about half the size.
Things were good for the couple days, but today the larger clown was rushing at the smaller clown. No obvious signs of bites or trauma, but some fin splitting and he's obviously hiding. His color is still good.
I shut off the lights and moved some rock around. Anything else I can do? Will the fins heal?

Secondly,
Is there any way of knowing if nassarius snails are okay? Haven't seen either of them for a week or so.

Hopefully your clown will heal, do you have a QT or hospital tank you can put him in. It might be impossible to catch him without ripping up your whole tank.

I have noticed when I feed mysis or any other shrimp for that matter the nassarius snails come out.

You shouldn't mix species of clowns. IMO the fighting won't end. In general, unless you have a very large tank, you should have one or a mated pair of the same species.

Agreed on the snails, have food will travel

You shouldn't mix species of clowns.
I had subscribed to that theory right away as well; but then numerous resources stated that " no, it will be fine", "90g is large enough", "one may be aggressive at first but it will subside", and yadda yadda yadda.

Things seem a little more civil in the tank this afternoon. See what happens tomorrow I guess.

I drop mysis shrimp in all the time but it seems like hardly any of it reaches the bottom.
That saddle clown is absolutely tenacious when it comes to food.

"I had" was inadvertently posted. This is what I meant to say...

I had subscribed to that theory right away as well; but then numerous resources stated that " no, it will be fine", "90g is large enough", "one may be aggressive at first but it will subside", and yadda yadda yadda.

Things seem a little more civil in the tank this afternoon. See what happens tomorrow I guess.

I drop mysis shrimp in all the time but it seems like hardly any of it reaches the bottom.
That saddle clown is absolutely tenacious when it comes to food.
You had responded to the "I had" while I was finishing the post...lol

Mileage will vary. Like peppermint shrimp dont eat coral or hermit crabs dont eat coral. I had subscribed to that. Now I know everything may not get along even when "it should". I buy everything with the thought that I may have to bring it back.

Back
Top Bottom