Figure 8 Puffer Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank u I feed him freeze dried krill is that good and also I have other fish that I don't think will tolerate any level of salinity what do I do ? I have it in a 20 gallon with 3 goldfish 2 dojo loaches, 1 clown loach,1 albino Cory catfish, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 f8 puffer and a fish that I don't know it's name or originI would like finding help on info for that fish but can the fish I have handle salinity ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'd be best to return the puffer and get a proper brackish tank set up and cycled.. we can discuss the stocking in your 20 too, needs some attention;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'd be best to return the puffer and get a proper brackish tank set up and cycled.. we can discuss the stocking in your 20 too, needs some attention;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I am aware of that but my parents had the choice not me so yeah I was wondering if I can do anything. To keep this little guy it's a beautiful fish and also Ik my tank is over stoked but I have a high end filter that cycles the tank 17 times so yeah and I am trying to convince them to upgrade to a bigger tank at least a 75 gal and they keep saying no but I told them we need to return the puffer and they said no so idk what to do

Ik my tank is over stoked but I have a high end filter that cycles the tank 17 times

It's not that it's over stocked. Goldfish get huge and there are 3 different needs types of fish in your tank. There are tropical fish which like warm water, cold water fish like the goldfish and brackish fish.

The puffer will die if it's needs aren't met. Freeze dried food is not good for puffers. You need frozen food and snails. Like I said before the puffers have 4 teeth that for a beak and if it's not worn down they will continue to grow until the puffer can't open its mouth. The snails shells will wear down those teeth.
The puffer also needs salt in the tank but all the other fish in you're tank can't handle salt. You have many catfish which don't really have scales and salt will burn their skin.
These are just the needs of the puffer.

The goldfish I'm going to assume they are comet goldfish which grow to about a foot long. You would need a minimum of a 55 gallon for them. Goldfish don't handle the heat that tropical fish due. The heat will stress them out. The dojo loach is a good tank mate for the goldfish because it also likes cooler water.

The clown loach you have likes warmer water and it likes to be in groups. I've never owned any because I never had a giant tank. They get up to 18 inches so if you have 3-4 and they are all 18 inches, the tank will need to be pretty big. The rainbow shark will only get to be about 6 inches and needs a 55 gallon tank because the get territorial.
The cory you have, like the clown loach, is a shoaling fish and should have 4 more of its own kind.

I don't know how old you are but I'm assuming younger than 16 but if you have the chance to rehome 90% of your fish then you should do it quickly as possible. I have a feeling you will not be able to meet most of the puffers needs so that is not one you will be keeping.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's not that it's over stocked. Goldfish get huge and there are 3 different needs types of fish in your tank. There are tropical fish which like warm water, cold water fish like the goldfish and brackish fish.

The puffer will die if it's needs aren't met. Freeze dried food is not good for puffers. You need frozen food and snails. Like I said before the puffers have 4 teeth that for a beak and if it's not worn down they will continue to grow until the puffer can't open its mouth. The snails shells will wear down those teeth.
The puffer also needs salt in the tank but all the other fish in you're tank can't handle salt. You have many catfish which don't really have scales and salt will burn their skin.
These are just the needs of the puffer.

The goldfish I'm going to assume they are comet goldfish which grow to about a foot long. You would need a minimum of a 55 gallon for them. Goldfish don't handle the heat that tropical fish due. The heat will stress them out. The dojo loach is a good tank mate for the goldfish because it also likes cooler water.

The clown loach you have likes warmer water and it likes to be in groups. I've never owned any because I never had a giant tank. They get up to 18 inches so if you have 3-4 and they are all 18 inches, the tank will need to be pretty big. The rainbow shark will only get to be about 6 inches and needs a 55 gallon tank because the get territorial.

I don't know how old you are but I'm assuming younger than 16 but if you have the chance to rehome 90% of your fish then you should do it quickly as possible. I have a feeling you will not be able to meet most of the puffers needs so that is not one you will be keeping.

Yeah I'm 15 so **** that sucks I want to keep it but I can't **** that sucks but my parents don't want to return it so yeah idk what I should do err

Your best bet is to turn the tank temp to about 75. If you can get a 10 gallon and separate the puffer and make a brackish tank but I doubt you're parents are going to buy marine salt(not aquarium salt), a hydrometer, and you need a good source of snails. The problem with the snails is that you can't keep them in your current tank because many of your loaches will eat them up and the snails will die in salt water.

I am just letting you know if that puffer stays in your current setup it will die. So for the puffer you should get a 15 but 10 will be easier to get and at this point it's better than nothing. You will also want a bucket with snails you can throw in fish food and lettuce. If you are close to someone in this forum in sure someone can hook you up with what you need. If you are in the philly area I have an extra 10 gallon. I have salt and a bucket for you. I don't have an extra heater.

Edit: I do have an hydrometer you could have if you are in the area. I have a refractometer so I no longer use the hydrometer.

Your best bet is to turn the tank temp to about 75. If you can get a 10 gallon and separate the puffer and make a brackish tank but I doubt you're parents are going to buy marine salt(not aquarium salt), a hydrometer, and you need a good source of snails. The problem with the snails is that you can't keep them in your current tank because many of your loaches will eat them up and the snails will die in salt water.

I am just letting you know if that puffer stays in your current setup it will die. So for the puffer you should get a 15 but 10 will be easier to get and at this point it's better than nothing. You will also want a bucket with snails you can throw in fish food and lettuce. If you are close to someone in this forum in sure someone can hook you up with what you need. If you are in the philly area I have an extra 10 gallon. I have salt and a bucket for you. I don't have an extra heater.

Edit: I do have an hydrometer you could have if you are in the area. I have a refractometer so I no longer use the hydrometer.

Thanks u for UR generous offer I have a 10 gallon with 2 neon tetras 2 skirts 2 mollies 1 rainbow shark and a tadpole if u can maybe u can ship it im in stamford, Connecticut if u want I can pay for the shipping and u can ship it to me if that's ok ? I'm not lying I'll stick to my word

Thanks u for UR generous offer I have a 10 gallon with 2 neon tetras 2 skirts 2 mollies 1 rainbow shark and a tadpole if u can maybe u can ship it im in stamford, Connecticut if u want I can pay for the shipping and u can ship it to me if that's ok ? I'm not lying I'll stick to my word

How many tanks do you have? It would too much to ship everything and wouldnt be worth it.

List of things you will need

-10 gallon tank(just for the puffer)
-Filter
-Heater
-hydrometer
-marine salt
-starter supply of snails

This would be good to start with

This is the salt you need

How many tanks do you have? It would too much to ship everything and wouldnt be worth it.

List of things you will need

-10 gallon tank(just for the puffer)

-Filter

-Heater

-hydrometer

-marine salt

-starter supply of snails

This would be good to start with

This is the salt you need

Thank u and ok I have 2 tanks 1-20 gallon and 1-10 gallon tank I'll send u a picture of them when I get home if u want

Thank u and ok I have 2 tanks 1-20 gallon and 1-10 gallon tank I'll send u a picture of them when I get home if u want

Yes please send a picture when you get home. Open another thread and post the picture and then copy the link here so that anyone here can join in.

Yes please send a picture when you get home. Open another thread and post the picture and then copy the link here so that anyone here can join in.

I forgot to ask how long will the puffer last in a fresh water tank ? He seems pretty happy he's been very friendly and energetic lately so yeah idk weather he's dying or he's just happy

I can't open a new topic sorry I have the pics

Normal for f8 to nip the gentlest fishes fins off ?

Yes that is one of the reasons it needs to be in another tank.

Yes that is one of the reasons it needs to be in another tank.

Ok it's not bothering any of my other ones though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom