Figure 8 Puffer set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
In about a month I am planning to buy a Figure 8 Puffer for my 15 gallon bowfront. The tank is cycled and there are currently a handful of fish in the tank "keeping it warm" for the puffer, but they will be moved before the big guy moves in. I also have some nuisance snails that are waiting to become snacks. I have a few questions to ask before I bring him (or her) home:

All the info I read says they need an interesting tank, so they won't be bored. What do fish find interesting?

I have another tank that I just planted for the first time. If I'm successful at not killing my aquarium plants I would like to do that in this tank , too. Is this a good idea, or will a F8 rip up my plants?

Brackish or freshwater? I have read info arguing both directions. Does anyone have the right answer?

Can ANY other creatures successfully five with an F8 or is he destined to be alone? I know that in a larger tank, 2 F8s can reside together, but F8s are equally happy alone, right? I don't want my fish to be pining for a friend.

Last question, I promise. The store is feeding them frozen food, which is what I intend to continue. What type of frozen food is best?

Thanks for all your help. I have always wanted a puffer fish and I was so excited to learn that there was an option that didn't require a marine tank. I have looked at the GSPs for years when I walked by them at WalMart, but did my due diligence before buying any and discovered what a bad idea that would be. I don't think I would ever buy a fish from WalMart anyway. The tanks usually have at least one dead body floating in them.

Thanks,
Anne

In a 15G I'd keep him alone and I think he'll be fine. You could make some complex cave structures with rocks and slate to keep him occupied and I think plants, real or fake, would be a good way to create interest and hiding spots. I'm reading they need low brackish water with a salinity of 1.003-1.008. Frozen foods good for them would be bloodworms, blackworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, etc as well as the snails and other crustaceans to help keep their teeth worn down.

Here are some links that seem to have good info:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/figure-8-puffer-profile-163927.html
Figure 8 Puffer Fish - Tetraodon biocellatus
Figure Eight Puffers - A Great Small Brackish Fish

Put lots of stuff inside the tank to make nooks, crannies, corners... Rearrange the tank decor every few weeks, so your F8 can explore the new surrounding. You can also throw in a snail during the night time when the lights are off. Let the puff figure constantly hunt for food. Feeder red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimps are also great for entertaining/food.

Plants are do-able in brackish plants. Very few are able to grow in light-brackish water. These fish live much longer in brackish water than freshwater.

F8 are more happy being alone than having a cell mate. Territorial fish do not like friends.

Raw seafood from the grocery store. Thaw outside of the aquarium water, such as a bowl. If you thaw, do not re-freeze. Frozen, raw shrimps are my puffer's favorite.

Thanks for the advice. I need to go hunt myself down some decorations. The fake pet/fish store varieties are so expensive. I really want a natural looking environment. I'm definitely going to keep him alone. I considered getting dwarf puffers, so I could have more than 1, but they're just not available in my area.

The tank already has a number of snails in it. Do you think the puffer is likely to overfeed himself or will he just hunt what he needs?

Now I just need to figure out how to go from fresh to brackish. I'm pretty sure the LFS keeps them in freshwater, so I'll probably need to transition slowly. I'm sure I can find a discussion on this site somewhere :)

Thanks,
Anne

The snails will help ease the transition from bag to tank. These fish love food! Don't feed for a day or two after you see that there is no more snails.

Back
Top Bottom