File Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can File Fish be reef safe? I am hearing they can be hit or miss? But I know for certain inverts will be gone... Has anyone tried them or had any luck with them?

Thanks

It depends on the filefish species, but in general they will consume algae, polychaetes, soft corals, anemone's, etc...I'm sure the list is quite varied and often meaning extensive XD

I know there is one species of them that will eat nothing but SPS polyps in the wild. Like innovator said there is a big difference depending on which species. I believe most of them are a bit more difficult to keep. I'm sure there is a range of difficulty though as well.

I have 2 green filefish and do they eat aiptasia? I dunno, haven't seen any disappearing. They do consume a variety of foods and that probably includes soft corals, polychaetes, and molluscs....ah...and found their diet: Food Items - Acreichthys tomentosus

Ok so basically they don't? If I am reading the food chart correctly? Are they hit or miss on eliminating the Aiptasia?

Are they reef safe? Depending on your definition of "reef safe," probably not. I would consider them hit or miss on aiptasia. They definitely do not feed upon them alone, but probably would if that is all there was to eat ;)

Back
Top Bottom