Filefish identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acreichthys tomentosus. They call these "Aptasia eating filefish" but that's not always the case. At least it's not with mine. I have the same fish in my tank and he mostly eats nori, and some meaty foods. I first couldn't get him to eat anything, but then I tried live blood worms, which he sucked up like spaghetti, then he gradually tried other things.

I think it is more likely Acreichthys radiatus - check images on FishBase to see. (I would be wary of images on aquarium sites, as I suspect the two species are frequently confused in the aquarium trade.)

Tony

The fish pictured above will change color on a fairly regular basis.
I have the same fish. I believe it to be this guy-
p-26171-filefish.jpg

I understand that there is considerable variation in the ground coloration and intensity of the markings in Acreichthys (as well as in many monacanthids), but one characteristic that appears to distinguish the two species is the intensity of the curved bar from the head to the dorsal fin. In A. tormentosus, the more obvious of these is from the short stripe above the gill opening to aout the anterior third of the 2nd dorsal-fin base. In contrast, in A. radiatus, the more obvious curved bar is from behind the eye to the anterior part of the 2nd dorsal fin (nearer the origin of the fin). More differences can be found here: http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspa...ace/ingest/pdfSource/nov/N2727.pdf?sequence=1

Ahh...ok. Gotcha. Radiatus it is. I just assumed the lines didn't have to be as prominent on one as another.

No problem Doug. I wonder whether the likely confusion between the two species might be why some hobbyists find they eat Aptasia, while others find they don't. Just a thought anyway.

Tony

I think they are calling most of them "aptasia eating" anyway. Just for marketing purposes of course.

Back
Top Bottom