Filling out my 26 gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strobukm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 26 gallon bowfront and the current inhabitants are:
3 - Sparkling Gouramis
3 - Male Endlers
8 - Ember Tetras

I'd like to finish stocking the tank and I'd like some input. I think I would like to increase the school of ember tetras to 12, but I don't want to add any more sparkling gouramis since the three I have get along really well. The guy at my LFS recommended adding Rainbows, either dwarf neon or threadfin, since I have a high pH, 8.3. I do keep softer water fish like angelfish and bolivian rams in one of my other aquariums and found that as long as I drip acclimate, pH hasn't been an issue in the past.

If I go with the rainbows I'm thinking something along the lines of:
3 - Sparkling Gouramis
3 - Endlers
12 - Ember Tetras
5-6 - Rainbow fish - does anyone have any preferences between threadfin and dwarf neon? Would a mix of both work?
6-8 - Pygmy Corydoras - I would prefer Habrosus, but Pygmaeus are easier to source locally and only $0.99 each

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Assuming those final numbers are the endpoint and not in addition to the existing fish, that group sounds fine to me, if perhaps pushing it a bit. You'd just need to be diligent about water quality.

Regarding rainbows, threadfins (so I've read) can be delicate when it comes to water quality, so sources recommend frequents small water changes, rather than a big one every so often. Also, they're a fish that likes lateral swimming room. I've seen 30g as a recommended minimum. Just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom