filling tank with tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olddollar95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read several threads about using Aqueon water changers to fill tanks after cleaning, including temping the water at the tap. I bought an Aqueon and use it for cleaning but not for filling. I have soft water on the hot water tap and it was my understanding that soft water was not recommended because of the salt, etc. I do about 10 gallon water changes on a 40 gallon tank. would the amount of soft water interfere with my readings? Also, do you add water treatment before or after filling?

I have soft water on the hot water tap and it was my understanding that soft water was not recommended because of the salt, etc. I do about 10 gallon water changes on a 40 gallon tank. would the amount of soft water interfere with my readings?
Hmm....this is one of those questions that there just isn't enough science to answer well. Personally, I don't believe that the sodium ions that are added during the ion-exchange process are harmful. However, if you are worried about it just switch to the potassium based water softener salts. For me, the bigger question is you now have water that will read 0 on a GH test kit, but what is the water like from the fishes perspective. I wish there was more science on this but my personal opinion from observation is that this water is much closer to the pre-softener water than it is too soft water. All my water comes through a softener and I have never had any issue keeping rift lake cichlids or any other hard water fish in the "softened" water. However, fish that nee very soft water are not super happy. This is one of the reasons I tend to posit that TDS is a more important measure than GH. Unfortunately, this is a question that probably doesn't have a single answer so you will need to draw your own conclusions.

Also, do you add water treatment before or after filling?
It depends what the water treament is. Dechlorinator should be added before with an appropriate dose for the entire tank volume.

Water Changes

I've read several threads about using Aqueon water changers to fill tanks after cleaning, including temping the water at the tap. I bought an Aqueon and use it for cleaning but not for filling. I have soft water on the hot water tap and it was my understanding that soft water was not recommended because of the salt, etc. I do about 10 gallon water changes on a 40 gallon tank. would the amount of soft water interfere with my readings? Also, do you add water treatment before or after filling?

Hello old...

A little salt can help maintain a steady body chemistry called "osmoregulation".

Your small water change is leaving 75 percent of the dissolved wastes in the tank. Getting your fish used to larger water changes will remove more dissolved wastes and improve the conditions for the fish and plants.

I'm still using the bucket method, but my "python guy" recommends dissolving the amount of treatment in a pitcher of water and pouring this into the tank, then filling the tank. This way, the fish aren't exposed to the tap water. The the chemistry of the tap water shouldn't affect your water test results. Someone correct me if I'm in error.

I still like the bucket method. The other way seems like a waste of good tap water.

B

What I do is just use the water to start the siphon, then let it drain normally until it's at 50% water gone, I do it mostly to save water but also because my sink drain isn't fast enough to handle all the water coming out of the tank plus from the faucet. It's a bit slower but gives me time to clean the canister filter.

As for filling, I dissolve a capful of prime in a container and pour it in right before i start filling with water. I've never had any problems, but I don't have any particularly delicate fish, either.. Most delicate I've got is probably my pair of Bolivian Rams. They don't seem to mind and neither does any of the other fish. I turn off my filters while filling so the tap water doesn't get into the bacteria and kill it with its chlorine. I turn on the air pump full blast to mix around the water and make sure it's all dechlorinated before I turn on the hob and canister.

Back
Top Bottom