Filter and fish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjoy223

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently got my first aquarium a (10 gallon) which has just finished cycling. I have a crayfish in it now and am looking at getting a Paradise Gourami to put in it. My first question is, are there any foreseeable problems with this combination. And my second question is their any reason that I couldn’t place my bubble diffuser in the back of my filter. Right now I have it running through a riser tube. The reason I want to do this is first to minimize surface water movement, and the second is the aquarium is in a bedroom and the sound of the bubbles braking on the water drive me nuts at night.

Thanks in advance, Jeremy

you can turn off the airation at night if you want, a lot of tanks don't even have them at all.

the crayfish will probably try and eat any other fish you put in there, what kind of crayfish is it?

Crayfish can cause problems for fish that sleep on the bottom and are slow to move especially in a 10 gallon tank. Not much room in there for fish to get away. Crayfish are not just scavengers, but hunters too. Danios are probably the only fish I'd ever have with crayfish in a 10 gallon. However, don't be surprised if any of them happen to suddenly disappear without a trace.

A paradise fish would most likely fall prey eventually to a crayfish in that size tank.

It's an electric blue crayfish. It was my fathers and in his aquarium it was kept with guppies and never bothered them, even when they would hang around the bottom at night. But just to be on the safe side I thought I read somewher that male Paradise fish kept mainly to the surface?

Oops forgot...

If you want a quieter way to provide extra aeration and be able to move the water's surface, just get yourself a little water pump. Direct the flow from the pump slightly to the surface of the water (to where the flow is just under the surface without breaking the surface). At the same time have the outflow toward the center of the pane of glass to the right or left of the pump. The outflow of water will hit the center of the pane it's pointing toward and bounce to the next. IMO, this type of placement allows for a good circular motion for good flow distribution.

Paradise fish are slow. That would be the down fall. Electric blues crayfish can get big and will eventually be able to eat anything that goes in there.

There are times when predatory type animals leave potential prey alone, but doesn't guarantee success all the time. If the crayfish was small and introduced AFTER the guppies there is that chance. Could also be that the guppies were strong and healthy and the crayfish well fed. But even in a situation like that, once the crayfish grows and becomes stronger, the better of it's chances of snacking up tank mates.

I understand. It can be a bummer when you really want a fish but may not be very welcomed in the tank :(

Thanks for the replies, if anything putting the crayfish back in his old tank would be no problem. So now my primary question is would placing my diffuser inside the filter have any negative effects, and would it be better to put it before or after the actual floss. My main reason for this is as the tank is now it has a lot of top current and from what I've heard a Paradise fish wouldn’t deal well with it.

air diffuser

I don't know what would be hampered by placing the air diffuser in the filter, though if I were to try, I'd place it past the filter media so that the water is already through the media. Something else you could do is get a little air flow controller. You can control the amount of diffusion. They only cost about 50 cents each.

Placing the diffuser in the filter will accomplish the same thing as turning the diffuser off.

[center:5ebddbffc7] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, jjoy223!! :n00b: [/center:5ebddbffc7]

What size tank was the crayfish in?

You want to break the surface tension with something. If you get rid of the bubbler youll need to make sure something mixes up the surface tension.

I do not know why you want to have no surface movement??

Have you thought of getting a fine bubbler?? those make less gurgling noise.

Back
Top Bottom