Filter Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the Tetra Whisper EX45 HOB Filter that comes with the carbon filter cartridges and a Bio scrubber insert. I am wondering how in the future I am going to change the Carbon insert and replace it with a new one without crashing the nitrogen cycle since all of the bacteria medium will be on this floss like carbon filled filter. Will the bio scrubber hold enough bacteria to prevent the cycle from stalling? All it is is a plastic brush looking thing that's suppose to ensure clear water, but i do think it could hold some bacteria, what are your thoughts? I have read about placing sponge behind the carbon filled filter, would you use regular dish washing sponge or something different, also would this hinder the water flow?

Tank Filtration

I have the Tetra Whisper EX45 HOB Filter that comes with the carbon filter cartridges and a Bio scrubber insert. I am wondering how in the future I am going to change the Carbon insert and replace it with a new one without crashing the nitrogen cycle since all of the bacteria medium will be on this floss like carbon filled filter. Will the bio scrubber hold enough bacteria to prevent the cycle from stalling? All it is is a plastic brush looking thing that's suppose to ensure clear water, but i do think it could hold some bacteria, what are your thoughts? I have read about placing sponge behind the carbon filled filter, would you use regular dish washing sponge or something different, also would this hinder the water flow?

Hello t...

There's beneficial bacteria living on all the surfaces inside the tank, so cleaning the filter routinely won't remove all of it. Many will run a second filter on their tanks in case one fails. This will also provide more bacteria when one is due for cleaning. Maybe this is what you'll want to do to make sure you don't have water chemistry problems when you clean a filter.

B

From what I could find online about the filter, there are two inserts in the Tetra filter. The 1st is the floss with the embedded charcoal. The second is something that looks like a pot scrubber.

The idea is that the beneficial bacteria colonize the scrubber with all its surface area (that's why it's filled with lots of "rods" or "hairs"... lots of surface area). So while some bacteria will colonize the floss/charcoal filter, it will be a small percentage compared to the amount that should colonize the scrubber that you never replace.

Honestly, don't even worry about changing out the carbon. It isn't necessary for your tank at all.

Instead of using the carbon filter inserts from Tetra, you can buy filter floss much cheaper that will be your mechanical filtration and take out debris from the water. Like previous posters have said, the carbon isn't needed unless you're filtering out chemicals (like medications) or something.

The idea behind the 2nd insert behind the carbon one is that it's made of a porous material, this increases surface area and gives room for more beneficial bacteria to live. So, changing your carbon/first insert shouldn't crash your bacteria colony.

Thank you to everyone for all of the helpful comments, i think i will invest in some filter floss instead of the tetra carbon inserts. Currently on day 4 of my fish in cycle and my ammonia is 1ppm so its slowly rising.

Back
Top Bottom