Filter - bubbles or no bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

My Fluval U2 filter has an option which blows bubbles. I was told this option was preferred as it puts oxygen into the water.

However, I have a male betta and was told they don't like bubbles as they breath from the surface.

Will putting the filter on normal mode (i.e. with no bubbles) affect the other fish (do they need the additional oxygen provided by the bubbles)?

Thanks
Henry

Filter pumps are more efficient w/o bubbles. Also, it isn't so much the bubbles that get oxygen into the water, it is the surface disruption they create. It's about gas exchange.

As long as the surface of the water is being broken then there should be adequate oxygen transfer taking place so you don't need the bubbles.

Good question. I have the same filter. I find that with the bubbles it creates a lot of current (I also have an AquaClear 20 HOB that creates bubbles when it hits the water too) so I turned the bubbles off and put my hand in front of the outtake to make sure water is coming out. I wonder if it's less efficient though to be on a lower setting; would the water be filtered better/faster if it were on a higher setting (and therefore creating the bubbles)?

Back
Top Bottom