Filter changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often do you all change filters? I have several tanks, all over the back pumps but different kinds.... All carbon filters i think. I get mixed opinions on how often to change them. Opinions please?

Filter pads should only be replaced when they are falling apart. When you replace them, take the new pad and put it in front of the old one for a few weeks. Whenever I get pads with carbon, I cut a tiny hole and take the carbon out because it doesn't last long at all

Filter pads should only be replaced when they are falling apart. When you replace them, take the new pad and put it in front of the old one for a few weeks. Whenever I get pads with carbon, I cut a tiny hole and take the carbon out because it doesn't last long at all

Follow this. This is correct. Stop replacing pads!! Your just throwing away good bacteria. And don't use carbon

Hmmmmm. I thought all the pads that fit my pump was carbon. Should i rinse them every time i do a water change?

You CAN use carbon, it's just usually unnecessary. It does aid in the removal of chemicals and discoloration, but unless you are using it for a specific purpose, filter pads are the way to go. I wouldn't sweat it, though. I swish my filter pads in a bucket of old tank water during every water change to keep some of the dirt off. This keeps them operable but retains most of the bacteria. When you replace the entire filter pad, you lose precious beneficial bacteria ("BB") and that loss can result in things such as ammonia spikes. When some of the pads are falling apart, only take out one at a time over the course of several weeks. This way, the new media will have a sufficient amount of BB once all the old media is eventually removed.

Last edited:
Most of them contain carbon but you can just leave it in and it will exhaust itself in a few weeks. I would wash the filter cartridge at least monthly. Maybe more if the flow gets restricted.

After a while with a particular tank set up and filter(s) you get a feel for when they need a rinse. I look for reduced water flow initially but I keep a log of when I maintain the filters and what they look like. My set up has each filter rinsed every 4 weeks, but off set so they are not cleaned together. But what ever you do make sure you rinse the filter gently in a bucket of tank water - just enough to rid it of gunk, not so it looks clean.

I truly learn something new every single day!!!! Thanks for the info. I was following instructions on the pump boxes about filter changes!

I've gotten quite bad now and just clean the filter pads and put them back in. They have a light coating of carbon and I just can't be bothered - I figure once it is used up that's it, it's just a home for bb.

I do think that having two filters is the way to go. If you go wrong with one or it stops, you still have a second one going. That way you can rotate cleaning, etc. I know a small tank makes this hard though.

The heart of an aquarium is the bio part of the filter, you must keep this healty !

Carbon is not usefull if you don't dose meds or have chemical issues with the tap.

Back
Top Bottom