Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagerlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious on this point, how often do you guys clean your actual filter, not the media but the intake tube or the return spout. Not with my weekly water changes but how often?

I usually clean the intake tubes every two weeks or so. During the summer they seem to need it more though. I clean the whole filter housing about once a month. Filter media is cleaned weekly with water change. I have seen tanks on youtube that look like the tubes have never been cleaned. They are completely brown with algae. It would drive me crazy to let mine get like that.

I only clean anything if its restricting flow. A build up of gunk doesn't bother me.

I am with mumma on this one. It usually ends up being every other month or so that I tear apart everything and clean out the hoses. I try to do the inside of the filter monthly.

That's the way I was leaning once every 3 months or so. Just was wondering what others do. Don't know anyone else around here into fish keeping. Thanks guys

I've never cleaned the pipe work from the filter to the tank and they are clear of gunk.
I clean my filter once every 4 months and change one of the 3 medias when i do it. the tanks coming up to a year old this month and apart from predation (tiger barbs ate my neons) i haven't lost any fish and haven't had any health problems like ich.

once a month i do change about 20ltrs of water a month but thats about it.

Maybe i've just been lucky.

That's the way I was leaning once every 3 months or so. Just was wondering what others do. Don't know anyone else around here into fish keeping. Thanks guys
Yeah 3 months is a good time. If you have HOBs, a turkey baster is a great tool for giving the inside of the HOB a clean without stripping it.

I've never cleaned the pipe work from the filter to the tank and they are clear of gunk.
I clean my filter once every 4 months and change one of the 3 medias when i do it. the tanks coming up to a year old this month and apart from predation (tiger barbs ate my neons) i haven't lost any fish and haven't had any health problems like ich.

once a month i do change about 20ltrs of water a month but thats about it.

Maybe i've just been lucky.
You should get longer than that from you media, unless it chemical.... Pads, bio-media can last for years....
How big is the tank??. Is it heavily planted or lightly stocked??

60 UK gallons (72 us). not heavily planted

6 columbian tetra
6 tiger barbs
6 black widow tetra
10 neon tetra
6 rosy tetra
6 X-ray tetra
2 CAE
4 small ottos

Attachments

• image-1897932836.jpg
    image-1897932836.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 86
60 UK gallons (72 us). not heavily planted

6 columbian tetra
6 tiger barbs
6 black widow tetra
10 neon tetra
6 rosy tetra
6 X-ray tetra
2 CAE
4 small ottos
You don't like Tetras by any chance??. Seriously, that's one hell of a beautiful tank mate. I love tanks like yours......

Back
Top Bottom