Filter comparison?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickcmanning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank due to Petco having a blowout 40% off sale on Aqueon Deluxe Aquarium Kits. The kid provided an Aqeuon Quietflow 20 that I have running along with the old tank's filter for the next two weeks or so. When I started up the Quietflow 20, for the first night it had a very audible buzz and I immediately panicked from being used to my old filter that was dead quiet. I went on amazon immediately like an idiot and bought a Marineland Penguin 100 Power Filter come to realize that in the morning, the provided Aqueon filter was significantly quieter after circulating all night. I tried to cancel the order before it arrived at my house but amazon would not let me because it was already out for shipment. Does anyone have any insight on which filter is more productive? The filter on my 10 gallon was a top fin so in terms of filters, I am not familiar with either company. I was also considering just running both filters. Thoughts? :facepalm:

I just upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank due to Petco having a blowout 40% off sale on Aqueon Deluxe Aquarium Kits. The kid provided an Aqeuon Quietflow 20 that I have running along with the old tank's filter for the next two weeks or so. When I started up the Quietflow 20, for the first night it had a very audible buzz and I immediately panicked from being used to my old filter that was dead quiet. I went on amazon immediately like an idiot and bought a Marineland Penguin 100 Power Filter come to realize that in the morning, the provided Aqueon filter was significantly quieter after circulating all night. I tried to cancel the order before it arrived at my house but amazon would not let me because it was already out for shipment. Does anyone have any insight on which filter is more productive? The filter on my 10 gallon was a top fin so in terms of filters, I am not familiar with either company. I was also considering just running both filters. Thoughts? :facepalm:
Run both filters. I like the Marineland Penguin products better, I have the 350 model on my 55 gallon, and it is dead quiet. Having double filtration will remove wastes and toxins a bit more efficiently than just one filter. Good luck!

I have two Marineland bio wheel 350's on my 55 gallon. So thats 4 wheels and eight cartridges. Perfect water. On a 20 L I have the Marineland bio wheel made for a 40 gallon and a Aqueon made for a 50.......... bio wheels are great albeit a bit finicky at times.

There's never too much filtration. I personally did not have a good experience with Marineland products, and am going to sell/return them (penguin 150 and emperor 400).

I set up the marineland tonight as my main filter along with the old filter from the 10 gallon tank for now. I will add the Aqueon back into the mix after I remove the old filter in 2-3 weeks. However, I am experiencing some subtle rattling with the new penguin power filter just as I did with the Aqueon at first. Is this a natural process for all new filters before algae builds up and the air circulates out of it completely? (I have my tank in my bedroom which is why I am able to notice such subtle changes in volume) Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I set up the marineland tonight as my main filter along with the old filter from the 10 gallon tank for now. I will add the Aqueon back into the mix after I remove the old filter in 2-3 weeks. However, I am experiencing some subtle rattling with the new penguin power filter just as I did with the Aqueon at first. Is this a natural process for all new filters before algae builds up and the air circulates out of it completely? (I have my tank in my bedroom which is why I am able to notice such subtle changes in volume) Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
If the rattling continues for more than 24 hours, I would remove the intake tube and mess with the impeller. I would stick the impeller in more tightly this time, and the rattling will stop. I know this because my 350 model sounded like it was choking on an elephant and filtering water at the same time. I messed with the impeller and put it back in tightly, and voila, the rattling stopped!

If I need to specifically show you where the impeller is, let me know...

Back
Top Bottom