Filter cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloodroot

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a cycled 5 gallon (temporary tank) with 4 dwarf puffers in it. I want to move them to their bigger better tank. I know i can take the filter from the cycled tank and move it to the non cycled tank. But here is my delema... can I immediately move my puffers with the cycled filter?

Also I was thinking of taking most of the water from the cycled tank and most of the decorations and putting them in the bigger better tank...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Moving Your Fish

So I have a cycled 5 gallon (temporary tank) with 4 dwarf puffers in it. I want to move them to their bigger better tank. I know i can take the filter from the cycled tank and move it to the non cycled tank. But here is my delema... can I immediately move my puffers with the cycled filter?

Also I was thinking of taking most of the water from the cycled tank and most of the decorations and putting them in the bigger better tank...

Hello Blood...

You can remove some of the old water and put it into a bucket and put your fish in it. They'll be fine during the time it takes to move filter, gravel and all to the new tank. Don't rinse anything or you'll remove bacteria. You don't have to move any of the old water, it has little or no bacteria in it. Bacteria lives on surfaces inside the tank. The new tank will be instantly cycled. If you add fish, do it slowly, so the bacteria can keep pace with the added fish waste.

B

Thanks! I did exactly that last night. I will be testing the water daily for the next little while.

Back
Top Bottom