Filter- filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, this is kind of a stupid question because it doesn't really seem possible to me, but is there a way I can put a "shield" of sorts around my filter intake that will still make it effective but prevent fish from getting caught there? I have a 55 gal with a 350 gph penguin HOB filter currently, and a lot of smaller type fish. I have had it cycled and running for a couple months. Yesterday, I lost a little guppie because he got sucked up to the intake and got stuck there and couldn't move. It was too late when I got home from work to save him. Anyways, I was wondering if there is a way I could put some sort of guard on there or a trick so I can prevent this from happening a lot. It was the first time it happened but I could see it happening a lot more because most of my fish are little guys and at the most might get a couple inches, and are very inquisitive. LOL, and by "trick" I don't mean buy bigger fish.

I use an aquaclear 110 sponge filter insert and cut it to fit over my intake strainers. I recall reading yesterday that someone makes a 'basket' out of plastic mesh canvas that would work as well.

yeah this is really starting to be a problem, I lost 4 fish recently, so I went and ordered some 110 inserts. Hopefully they come in before another one bites the dust. Thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom