Filter for 150g cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhubbardsafety

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I am new to this site and am hoping to receive some great advice regarding a 150 gallon tank that I am setting up. Currently I have a 55 gallon tank with three Jack Dempseys that I bought when they were each about 2 inches long. Needless to say that at 8-12 inches they need a bigger home! What are some suggestions for what kind of filter(s) I should use with the new tank? Thanks for your help!

Hi! Welcome to AA! Well glad your upgrading your tank to the appropriate tank size so good job on that! As for a filter I would either reccomend either 2 AquaClear 110's or 1 fluval Fx5. Or you could get both. That would be awesome to have all of that filtration.

You could do a couple canister filters. I would. Like 2 Rena filstar xp-l. Well priced - or I'd do the fx 5

I have an aquaclear 110 in my 90 gallon and it is great. I also have a filter that suction cups to the side. But for a 150 two Aqua clear 110s would be fine I would think, if you only have 3 fish. If you get more you might want to add another aquaclear 110, If it is sectioned off by three bars on the hood. Good luck post some pictures when you are done! Oh also I heard the fx5 filter works great, but it is kinda pricy. I would check eBay for a knock off of that. That is a canister filter.

Can't go wrong with fx5. I have an xp4 that works good as well, you can fit a whole lot of media into both

I always recommend fluval products. 2 aquaclear 110s might end up falling behind, especially if you get a catfish or something to house with the jacks. I have an fx5, it was very expensive but the thing is an absolute beast, and would be able to handle more stock if you were to add. It has ridiculous amounts of filter media and you can customize it whatever way you like. You can find one for about $$350-$450, and if you were two buy 2 aquaclear 110s it would be about $150-$200 and then you might need another canister filter...so maybe a fluval 406 which would be another $100-$150 so your looking at an expensive investment non the less. So I would just say get the fx5 and be done with it.

It all depends on your budget, if you are very good with water changes then you don't need to spend as much, but if you don't have much time to do constant water changes, than I suggest getting the fx5. I am a sophomore in highschool, and I have a 90 gallon aquarium with an aquaclear 110 and another cheap little in tank filter. I spend on average an hour every Saturday using the gravel vacuum, cleaning the glass and plants, and refilling the aquarium. It also takes me about 5 minuets to do my water tests. I say if you are confident with your water changes than you don't need to spend a lot of money, all the filter does it keep the water moving and pick up random particles, it also is a great place for your beneficial bacteria colonies. But it is mostly on you to suck up all the poop, the filter is just an add on. I know this does not happen often, but you also eliminate the risk of a water leakage with a hang on back filter. The fx5 is not in the aquarium, so there is always that risk

You are right peacockbass, if you never forget water changes, and clean the gravel really good, and do all that every week then you can under filter. But that's risky because if you forget, or go on vacation, or something happens and you can't clean the tank really good then there is a better chance for toxin build up. So it leaves less room for error. But like you said, depending on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend with maintenance, you can run 2 aquaclear 110s.

I have the SunSun 5 tray canister (525 GPH) in a 125g tank ($94 from Amazon). Very happy with it, didnt see many reviews when I was looking so I thought I would bring it up.

mainland c530 canister love mine

only real issue is it so big

but other then that dose a great job

cheap on amazon also I got mine for 180 bucks normal price was 400 something

I have fx5, an xp4, xp3, fluval 306, and an eheim 2217. All have been great for me

Back
Top Bottom