Filter for 20g planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's a community jungle with RCS. My current HOB filter that came with my tank is way too strong. Messing up my plants and pushing my shrimps away from the waterwall.

Can someone recommend me a suitable filter? Will be using CO2 during lighting periods, if that makes a difference in what filter I should get.

Sponge filters are super cheap, and work wonderfully for shrimp tanks. I would suggest a double sponge filter, and alternate cleaning each sponge by 4-6 weeks. Has low flow, and will not suck up your babies.

I had a sponge filter on my 20L for months, and I loved it. Had a betta in it, along with some plants, worked wonderfully until I started adding tropical fish that needed more water flow, and felt the need to add an HOB to increase it, along with filtration.

You can either make one, or buy one. About 7-20 bucks, and well worth it.

I use a Zoomed 511 canister filter in conjunction with a DIY PVC pipe undergravel filter and double sponge filter.

The aeration from sponge filters tend to gas off the CO2 that you're injecting.
I'd suggest a small canister. Eheim's Ecco series would be about the right size... Or a Fluval 105 or 106 if you want more circulation.
The Fluval C-series HOBs have an adjustable flow, if you don't want to go with a canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would also suggest a small canister. Make sure the flow is not too much. The SunSun HW-602 is a perfect canister. I used it for my 20g tall. It gives you room to add some biological and chemical filtration. Put a sponge over the intake/outtake if you think the flow is too much.

Sent with my fingers

Back
Top Bottom