Filter for new 55 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreyMirt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
My dad and I are setting up a 55 gallon aquarium. We're waiting on all the parts to come in from amazon and I was wondering about the filter. I'm stuck between a tetra 60 gallon and an aqueon 55-70 gallon. The tetra is dual filter and the aqueon has an led indicator which tells you when to change or clean the cartridge. I have included the links to the two filters but I'm also open to other ideas for filters. Please include these ideas if you think a different filter is a better alternative.
Thank you!

https://www.chewy.com/aqueon-quietflow-fresh-saltwater/dp/124436?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Aqueon&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH8JacXdw6VQO62vmbjxicLAxQBjhOtZUKQanoQoZ92AaAoua8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11787824155534354910?lsf=seller:8064,store:18293335934981130985&prds=oid:1592452761488278920&q=tetra+smart+60&hl=en-US&ei=sMdvWKD6CMSkjwTg0JlQ&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:1833536,utm_medium:pLA,utm_content:*CATCH+ALL,utm_campaign:*GSC+-+CATCH+ALL&lsft=gclid:Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH7RXTeGDOTEDEsHx3XdXYOrqbjegYGMWojtC__YXIycaAoGB8P8HAQ

Corey...

A couple of dual sponge filters is all you need. Huijukon has a very good product. These are easy to set up and use. You don't ever need filter media and these filters are an easy cleanup. If you want to impress your Dad, tell him you recommend a couple of dual sponge filters. They'll cost no more than $15.00 to $20.00. This includes the shipping.

These are all I use in my larger tanks.

B

The Aqueon with the LED is a pain. For the cost of cartridges, you could buy a new filter every couple of months.

I'm a big fan of AquaClear.

And I don't change cartridges. I rinse out the media in tank water and put it back in. Throwing away cartridges is throwing away BB.

I don't use Carbon much. Mostly just filter floss or bio balls.

Cor...

One more bit of advice. The filters, no matter how good they are, aren't meant to take the place of a sound water change routine. The filters are simply taking in toxic tank water and returning the water to the tank a bit less toxic. You'll guarantee a healthy tank if you remove and replace most the tank water every few days. The water change is the true filter not the mechanical gizmo.

B

Cor...

One more bit of advice. The filters, no matter how good they are, aren't meant to take the place of a sound water change routine. The filters are simply taking in toxic tank water and returning the water to the tank a bit less toxic. You'll guarantee a healthy tank if you remove and replace most the tank water every few days. The water change is the true filter not the mechanical gizmo.

B

Weekly PWCs are the best thing to keep plants and fish healthy. Overfiltering can help if you miss a week.

Back
Top Bottom