Filter has broken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thresher9122

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, new here.:dance:

I just noticed that my juwel bioflow 1000 has stopped working. I've taken it out and washed it out and checked the fuse but it still wont work. I am sure I replaced this filter pump about 3 years ago...

The problem is I don't know when it packed up, I just noticed that the fish are very lethargic tonight and don't want to eat, thats when I noticed the pump wasn't working. I did a small water change to see if that would help and the fish seem to have perked up a little now but I am guessing with no filter working and no water circulation it will be short lived. I can't get a new filter now till the morning but does anyone have any advice for me that I can do in order to keep them happy till the morning?

Thanks in advance

Drop in extra air stones, that happened to me recently. I also made filter from Tupperware and charcoal and fish medium and a air pump. They perked right up and it did help. Good luck

Hi do not feed the fish,do another small water change. Do you not have another filter of any description that could be a temporary measure?
Good luck.

Do another water change

How soon after the last one should I do this and roughly what percentage do you recommend. I probably did a 1/4 change or just under about an hour ago.

The shop doesn't openen for anotehr 13+ hours I am guessing.

Hi do not feed the fish,do another small water change. Do you not have another filter of any description that could be a temporary measure?
Good luck.

No I don't unfortunately, I don't even have an air pump running any more.

My tank is of strange design and doesn't have amazing clearance between the fill line and the lights so having an air pump going means that the lights where getting wet all the time and that caused algi to grow on them plus for some reason the light fitting centre would slowly fill with water having the bulbs being slashed all the time by the bubbles bursting, which meant the electrics got wet!!!

You might say I hadn't put the light fittings on right but the first set blew and so I had to buy a new light fitting about 2 years ago and they same thing happened to that and that was all brand new parts, including washers etc.

So I think there is just a floor in my fish tanks design... This has little bearing on my filter problem I am just letting you know that I have no air pump any more, the filter would normally point towards the waters surface and that was enough and the light issue went away and the fish have been more than happy for going on 2 years without an air pump now.

I must say since the watcher change about an hour ago the fish have become much more active and almost back to normal... :) but 13 hours is a long time to wait, lets hope the shop have a new filter pump in stock...

Hi if the fish look happy enough then there is know need to change any at the moment.I would do a 10% change first thing in the morning before you go to the shop tp get a filter sorted,also maybe worth looking at a cheap small filter which could filter the tank in case this happened again? I use 2 filters on all my tanks for this very reason. Also be aware that when you put in the new filter or get your old one working the tank will experience a mini cycle at best so be ready for yet more water changes.

Last edited:
Hi if the fish look happy enough then there is know need to change any at the moment.I would do a 10% change first thing in the morning before you go to the shop tp get a filter sorted,also maybe worth looking at a cheap small filter which could filter the tank in case this happened again? I use 2 filters on all my tanks for this very reason. Also be aware that when you put in the new filter or get your old one working the tank will experience a mini cycle at best so be ready for yet more water changes.

Can filter pumps be fixed? I have looking to see if I could find the air pump, found my old filter pump and so I have two filters that dont work. The fuse and impellers are fine, so I am guessing its the motor thats gone?

My filter system is built into the back right corner of the tank and the filter is glued in and the filters and pump then sit inside that. How would I rig up a second filter, what should I be looking for in the shop?

Thank you to everyone btw for all your advice.. :fish2:

Hi if you take apart your pump,basically only the impeller usually comes out{it may have a cover so this will need removing as well} give it all a good clean,reassemble and see if it works,you may get lucky? if not you will need to find a pump that fits where the old one did? Hopefully the shop can help you with this one? As for a second filter,it can be a small internal,or a air driven sponge filter or even a 'box' filter {basically a plastic box full of media with a pipe coming out of the middle - a very old style filter but very handy and cheap that's if you can find them!?}

Last edited:
Hi if you take apart your pump,basically only the impeller usually comes out{it may have a cover so this will need removing as well} give it all a good clean,reassemble and see if it works,you may get lucky? if not you will need to find a pump that fits where the old one did? Hopefully the shop can help you with this one? As for a second filter,it can be a small internal,or a air driven sponge filter or even a 'box' filter {basically a plastic box full of media with a pipe coming out of the middle - a very old style filter but very handy and cheap that's if you can find them!?}

Thank you very much for your time.

I know back when I had tropical fish, I had a bottom filter which was basically a sheet of plastic with vents cut in it and holes either end which you could connect upright tubes to. These tubes, you could then attack water jets to and they sucked the water down through the gravel and then through the plastic and back up the pipes through the jets.

That was a nice filter system that just pulled all the waste and particles into the gravel. Then media filter was external to that tank and sat in the housing underneath. I had them for about 10 years and never did I have a pump go wrong or anything. I also have about 6 to 8 inches of space after the fill line above the tank to house the lights, ok tropical's had more lights but still the air pump never made them wet because of the gap...

Again thank you all for your help in my time of worry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom