Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a Rena Filstar canister filter rated to filter 75 gallons on my 55 gallon aquarium. I am wondering if this is enough filtration for my current set up? It is a low light planted tank with:

10 neon tetras
5 scissor tail rasboras
8 priscella tetras
5 serpea tetras
6 cory cats

I am eventually going to add otos (the tank has only been running 2 months - it completed a fishless cycle and has had fish in it for a few days)

I am also considering german blue rams in a few months. I have read that they need really clean water and I am wondering if I have enough filtration.

I am currently working on updating a 29 gallon aquarium that is currently empty. I am considering taking the filter from the 55 gallon and put it on the 29 gallon. Then I would purchase the next size up for the 55 gallon (I would transfer all my filter media so I dont lose my bacteria).

End results would be a rena filstar on both tanks; the 29 gallon would have the filter rated for up to 75 gallons and the 55 gallon aquarium would be upgraded to the filter rated for 125 gallons.

Does this sound like a good strategy or is the current filter enough for my 55 gallon setup?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Filtration

Hello J...

Your tank requires a minimum water turn over rating of 4 times the water volume of the tank. So, a 55 gallon tank would require filtration that turns more than 200 gallons of water per hour. Add to the mix large, water changes every week or two and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

The XP-M is perfect for your tank. Its rated at 350 GPH. Just keep up with water changes and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom