Filter help!~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ascendant

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, Im running an AquaOne Clearview 500, which turns over 500Lph.
My tank is approx 100 liters, and I foolishly chose 2 delicate fish (Ryukin and Oranda :oops: ) to start, then found out about all this cycling stuff.

My tank is currently cycling after the first week. I thought it would be wise to add all the gravel from my old fish tank into the new one to kick start the cycle process.

Anywho, I've got a couple of box filters lying around and I'm unsure if it's safe to turn them off at night and just leave the hang on filter going.

Its because of noise reasons :?

Anyway please let me know if turning off box filters (the ones with charcol and wool) can in anyway harm my fish

Well, with the gravel starter the tank might cycle in a good time. I'd suggest a 25% water change every day or two for a while until the tank settles. I'd just use the main filter, although it may not be quite big enough. It would be for 'normal' fish, but you may need more for goldfish.

Do you have a good liquid test kit so you will know what is going on in your tank? Most of us use and swear by the API Freshwater master test kit. You really need to keep up with your ammonia and nitrites during your cycle for two main reasons:

1) High levels of either is toxic (deadly) to the fish, ESPECIALLY sensitive ones
2) You will better know your cycle progress by checking up on it

Get the test kit, and do smaller water changes daily like amosf suggested. Keep at it, and in about a month you will be hopefully cycled. I would also get a pack of Bio-Spira, if its handled right, it could cut your cycle time in half or better.

Good luck!

I bought a product called "Cycle" which has about 1 weeks bacteria, to ensure that the tank starts and keeps ammonia/nitrites down.

I've been doing water changes, every day or second day when I think it needs it.

So you guys reckon ditch the box filters and just keep the AquaOne 500 going?
I've got a pump that oxygenates the water and adds to water movement, but that could be connected to a box filter.

Thanks

People have had hit or miss results with Cycle. Your really shooting in the dark without a test kit. You might be totally complete with your cycle, or not even started yet and you would have no idea.

Water changes are a good thing, you pretty much have to do those during a fishy cycle.

As far as the filter, I know nothing about that product, but your getting a 5x per hour turnover. That is not bad, nothing to write home about. I would think you should be fine as long as you do not overstock.

Back
Top Bottom