Filter maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter for our 29G tank. How often should I clean the sponge and bio media? I believe I am supposed to swish them in some tank water in a bucket? We just started the tank a few weeks ago and had 6 fish and unfortunately have lost 2 already?? The LSF tested our water and see no issues. The readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates and the PH is 8.0. We do not have live plants. We have some silk plants and I have noticed some brown stains starting on some of them. Water is clear and no signs of algae. Any thoughts?

When they tested, did they use strips or liquid and little test tubes?

AS for cleaning your filter, when you do a water change swish the sponge in the dirty tank water to remove any gunk that's built up. Once in a while Take the uptake tube off and wash it out in the dirty tank water, you can use a bottle brush or something similar. When you do the uptake tube, make sure your impeller is clean too. The biggest killer of HOB's is dirty impellers.

They used test tubes to test the water. I also use the API test kit when I test it.

With so few fish in the tank the gravel is very clean and so is the water. How often do I need to do a pwc and how much?

That's where your nitrate test comes in. Watch for your nitrates to get to about 20. A 50% water change would get you back to 10 which is what most consider a good range to be in.

Back
Top Bottom