Filter materials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenBell80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This question may have come up before and it might be buried in here somewhere but thought this might be easier, I've been seeing a lot about "bio" filters is running one of these better than the old carbon filters or are they about the same?

They are about the same when it comes to running. I have one. The bio wheel sits inside the filter and gross good bacteria as the tank filters. Helping to keep a good cycle in the tank :)

I always use biological in my tanks and never seem to have a problem with unwanted levels. I rinse the sponges/media in my tank water which has been siphoned out of my tank to remove the excess detritus from it every week or so.

Filter sponges are great for bacteria colonies but i have found that ceramic media are superior. The ones with the largest surface area are the best. Have a look at ceramic rings and 'bio-motion' balls. They are both fantastic.
I have often found in the past that changing carbon bags every month of two tedious and far more expensive than the alternatives mentioned above.

All the best :fish1:

Where would I get filter sponges? What do they look like?

Filter sponges are great, only problem is they don't pick up detris from the bottom (if your running Bare botton) and sometimes the parts break as their made cheaply. Kensfish.com has them for $5 or yourfishstuff.com has them for $6 (the whole setup not just the sponge)

I have the bio wheel for a 10 gallon
I'm assuming that this is one of the MarineLand series of HOB filters that use cartridges. You can use ceramic media (ceramic rings specifically) in the vertical space next to the cartridge by running a length of fishing line through the ceramic rings (think necklace). This would allow you to easily add and remove the ceramic rings during filter maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom