Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoolHand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The starter kit I bought came with a Marina S10 Slim pump/filter. The two filter media that came with it are disposable carbon. One said for fresh water fish, one said for tropical fish. Anyhow, I installed the both for now.

I am more concerned about the longer term effects of these filters as I just began a new tank cycle and would prefer a more biologically correct filter. What should I use? Is there a filter media that I can cut to size? If so what do people recommend?

Thanks

CH...

IMO carbon filters should be fine. You can simply cut the carbon out and keep the bag material in there. If you don't want to do that, you could try wool or mesh sponges.

I am DIYing new filter cartridges for my brothers s10 slim filter. Mine came with one tropical and one goldfish filter. I do not really trust it and I think it needs a better biological filter. I am gonna try to use a metal hanger to make a frame and cut the mesh custom to fit it. I wioll add activated carbon to one and like a bag of rocks for bacteria on the other. Ill tell you how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom