filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UDCatFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it okay to use 1 fluval zeo carb bag, 1 fluval ammonia remover bag,and a fluval sponge cut in half lengthwise?

^+1^

You certainly can use that set up.
I wonder why also?
The sponge will become the bio media so only rinse in old tank water.
The other two products are short lived and will need regular replacement($).

^+1^

You certainly can use that set up.
I wonder why also?
The sponge will become the bio media so only rinse in old tank water.
The other two products are short lived and will need regular replacement($).

How often does the sponge need to be rinsed? or can it be squeezed? I've had a new filter up an running since APR and we have never touched the sponge, and the flow seems fine. I have been wondering if I should pull media out or just leave it alone. After 8 months, the biomax has nothing visible on it.

How often does the sponge need to be rinsed? or can it be squeezed? I've had a new filter up an running since APR and we have never touched the sponge, and the flow seems fine. I have been wondering if I should pull media out or just leave it alone. After 8 months, the biomax has nothing visible on it.

If you have other bio media you 'clean' your sponge however you like.
It is not the bulk of your BB IMO.

Sponges need to be squeezed to get out the accumulated crud in them. Rinsing them does next to nothing.

^^THIS^^
Bad wording by the bandit back there....

How do you know when you need to squeeze out sponge, or is it just based on time? I have seen no change in my filtering, and have not done anything with this new filter set up in 8 months other than replace carbon pouch.

Kevin

How do you know when you need to squeeze out sponge, or is it just based on time? I have seen no change in my filtering, and have not done anything with this new filter set up in 8 months other than replace carbon pouch.

Kevin

I try to clean my filters every 1-2 months. It's cleaner on the system and helps keep it from wearing out the motor and stuffs.

Caleb

Generally I can see the water getting less clean or the filter getting gunked up (if you can see into it) or filter flow reducing.

Although I agree with above as well, certain filters I try to have a regular schedule on.

The AQ70 is what I have. Fantastic filter.

I use the supplied sponge as described earlier, the biomax rocks, and the carbon packs. I have been considering for quite some time to use an additional sponge split in half or more biomax instead of the carbon.

Kevin

Kevin

As you've found out, there is no set rule as to how often or not to rinse or clean your filter media.
I've gone up to a year without touching my canister filters but I use all biological course filter media and though I DO NOT recommend going this long, a lot of it has to do with the type of filtration, bioload, feeding etc.
Contrary to that, I have a hang on side filter with very fine filter media that needs cleaning monthly.

Back
Top Bottom