Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, everything I have read says no carbon or biowheel in a planted tank, but I haven't really found what you're suppose to use. So what do I put in my filter? I have a 60g tank that is in the process of cycling and have an HOB filter rated for a 200 some odd gallon tank. Basically I have about 3-4x turnover.

You need some type of porous, high-surface-area bio-media. Cell-Pore works great in HOB and wet/dry filters. So would something like Ehfisubstrat. Not being an HOB owner/user I can't say what is best though. Hopefully some HOB users will chime in with their advice :)

I used to always use HOB filter but for a large tank like that I would definitely use a canister filter.IMO any tank 30 gallons or larger must use a canister filter.Media should include stuff with alot of surface area as travis said,if your HOB filter is an AquaClear it should have come with some Bio-Max media which will be okay,in HOB filter I Like having a filter pad for large particulates,a micron cartridge for small particulates,and then some biological media.HTH

I can't do a canister filter due to several constraints, that's why I went with a dual chamber HOB with a high tank rating. I didn't buy an aquaclear and only got carbon with my filter. When you say biological media, are you talking about ceramic materials? If so, what is the maintenance for them?

Well I am not sure but I try to keep the media clean and free of debris but having a regular filter cartridge and a micron cartride to keep it clean.

I use polyfiber cut to fit. Works great and can be rinsed out many times before it needs to be replaced. When replacing I just remove half of the old and add it half of the new. After a few weeks I finish replacing with the new.

some say that a bio-media in the ilter competes with the plants for ammonia and CO2. As a result, they recommend NO biomedia in the filter. Carbon is a combination bio/chem media and has no place in a healthy system.

I would recommend a sponge block with coarse pores and a layer of floss to polish.

Of couse, that asumes you have enough plants to keep the ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates down.

Hmm...talk about a paradox! I guess the best way to go would be to add plants first and stock accordingly?

Even though the bacteria will compete with plants,that is why you dose nitrates so the bacteria doesn't get the nitrates,they only get the ammonia and nitrites.

Even though the bacteria will compete with plants,that is why you dose nitrates so the bacteria doesn't get the nitrates,they only get the ammonia and nitrites.

Plants prefer ammonia over nitrate. a good load of plants will keep your nitrates down by consuming ammonia.

personally the media I use in my cannisters is floss, foam and Matrix (bio media like biomax)

I used a HOB for 3/4 of a year on my planted tank and I did ok. It was a penguin, supposedly big enough to handle a 55 gallon tank. It had the biowheel and all. I had some pretty good plant growth, even used carbon media(I had no Idea) and would go as far as using just chemipure and a mechanical filter pad. I have switched to an eheim classic though, and I like it much better. With the eheim I just use the eheim media.

so it sounds like a filter sponge and floss is all that is needed in a planted tank with proper amount of fish(whatever that is)... Everything else will cause lack of food for plants.

Back
Top Bottom