Filter Media....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thutton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

My question is this...I have the Fluval 404 Canister Filter which has 4 media baskets plus the foam. I am wondering what would be the best media to use in the four baskets as of course I cant fit everything.

Currently there is

Basket 1
Pre Filter (Octagonal Ceramic Rings NOT The Bacterial Ceramic Rings)

Basket 2 (Had to combine as there was no room)
Peat Fibre
Carbon Bags

Basket 3
Carbon Bags
Micro Filter Pad(Fuzz)

Basket 4
Ceramic Rings (Bio Filter for the Bacteria)

I am wondering what other people use in there filter as I dont beleive there is enough carbon and they are small bags in order to fit, I am trying to get the best filtration as My water is VERY rarely completly clear.

Thank You for any advice you may have.

I use nothing but sponges, floss/pads and bio-media, and my water is crystal-clear.

If you water is rarely completely clear, you should look at a couple of possibilities: 1)The filter is not sufficient for the tank-size or bioload; 2) The bioload is simply too high; 3) Too infrequent water-changes.

I only use sponges, course, medium in my Fluval 304 cannister and fine in my Fluval +3 internal filter and the water is crystal clear.

No carbon here. Only sponges, filter floss, ceramic rings, and lava granules. The Octagonal Ceramic Rings is actually for the bacteria as well, and is a bio-media. Here's my setup for my XP3:

Bottom Basket: sponges
Middle basket: lava granules and ceramic rings
Upper basket: filter floss, fine filter pads.

That's it. I only put carbon in if I absolutely had to medicate the tank. The carbon is used after completion of the treatment to remove the meds from the tank. Other than that, I use no carbon, period.

Same as above, no carbon except for meds removal. Sponges, filter floss (which I get at Walmart, polyester pillow stuffing) and bio balls and ceramic rings.

no one uses like

Bio-Chem Zorb

Nitra-Zorb

Phos-Zorb

Zeolite Ammonia Remover

etc, and if not why not?

There is no need for Ammonia remover because it should never be present in your tank anyway. No need to "remove it".

For the Nitra remover, just do water changes, no need for "special" media. You have to do them anyway to remove the excess DOC.

For the phos guard, I've never had a problem with excess phosphate. Actually, right now it would help if I actually HAD phosphates. Water changes and proper care will reduce the phosphate anyway.

I've never found a need to use any "specialty" media. It seems like a waste of money.

I just use sponges and have some pieces of old coral to naturally raise ph and kh in the tank as well as help provide Ca for snails.

Before frequenting this place, I also used carbon all the time and some of the expensive speicalty media, but after tossing em for more sponges, my water actually looks better I think.

So in the 4 baskets I should have the...

Pre-Filter
Sponge
Polywool
Ceramic Rings

??
Also is there any difference with what I should use Based on the Fish In My Tank? (certain fish need anything special?)

..Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to get the best Aquarium I can.

And Thanks Everybody for the help so far.

i use carbon , sponge and rings. i have a fluval 403.
and my water is good?
i have no problems.
its always used carbon in all my tanks.
it just came like that i never changed it?

Pre-Filter
Sponge
Polywool
Ceramic Rings

??
Also is there any difference with what I should use Based on the Fish In My Tank? (certain fish need anything special?)

The list looks good.

No special needs that I can think of...(no carbon in my xp3 either)

The only thing that may want to be used (depending on the fish and your pH and hardness) would be peat or cc. But unnless you are trying to breed your fish, it doesn't matter the level as long as it is consistant.

My PH is stable now but I am however using Peat Fibre currently....

I am currently not focussed on breeding my fish but I would like them to be healthy nevertheless

They will still be healthy with a higher or lower pH than what is listed as ideal. My Angels, Rams, Rummies, and Serpae's are doing just fine at 8.2.

same as everyine else, bottome tray has two sponges first coarse and second fine. middle basket has ceramic rings and another fine foam pad. top basket has 2 layers of floss. As far as the carbon goes, only for removing meds but I will put in some carbon every 6 months for around 2 weeks just to help clean the slight amount of tanins my driftwood puts out, plus it keeps any smells away.

Back
Top Bottom