Filter of the Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a terrible time getting the proper filter set up in my tank. First I had a HOB filter which came with my tank and the cascading water sound from the unit back into the tank kept me awake all night. Next I purchased a Fluval internal filter. It is very quiet but wasn’t keeping the water clean enough. Next I bought a canister filter only to come home from work the second day I had it to find it had lost its prime and wasn’t working. My criteria for a filter was that it be quiet, efficient, and low maintenance. I bought another HOB and put it on last night. I was able to sleep through the night with it. However, this morning it is now making a noise it didn’t last night. It is from the lid vibrating against the unit. When I take it off the noise stops. Is there any reason I can’t operate the unit without the lid? It is the Aqua Clear Power filter. Any other suggestions for making it quiet or another type of filter I haven’t tried would be welcome. I don’t have the room under my stand for the wet/dry filter or I might have tried that. Thanks

I have several tanks with HOB's and no lids. Mostly the lids are for noise and water evaperation.

For quiet you cannot beat a canister filter. I use Marineland's in my House tanks and never have had any problems with them. Are you sure your connections were tight? Loose connections might cause a canister filter to suck in air and lose it's prime.

Not much help, but my aquaclear HOB also operates quieter without the lid. Ever since the tanks been set up its been off. No problems with it, unless its visible someway, as it doesnt look too attractive with an open pump system. But I like quiet and I cant see it from my viewing point. Aquaclear are great filters though!

I don't see any problem running the filter with the lid off. If you wanted to keep it on you could get a small piece of foam and use that to hold the lid in place. I have two AquaClear filters myself and they don't make any noise except occasionally.

You could use a piece of masking tape on the lid to keep it tight if it is rattling a bit. That should stop it from vibrating.

Only issue with removing the lid is if you have a spray bar for a bio wheel that splatters. other than that, Ive run many with no lids.

how many posts are you goinmg to make about your filter?

first you need to figure out what is causing the vibration. (media basket not properly installed, lid not properly installed, filter tab not in the correct position to hold the filter even, etc.
fix this problem, and you will have no issues.

if properly set up, the filter will operate silently.
try to find out what is causing the lid to vibrate.

it is not a good idea to run the filter without the lid. things can fall into the filter and contaminate it, or debris could fall into the impeller side of the basket causing problems. also, if your basket is not properly in place, you run the risk of overflow. (never had he problem myself, but i have heard of maybe 5 cases over the years)

Check and make sure the impeller is properly seated, that makes some noise on mine.

So, what are you going to be doing with the canister?

Back
Top Bottom