filter outputs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
after getting a lot of blue green algae ive read that it is caused by bad filtration and my filter i have now really sucks ( it doesnt even put the water out in a full stream. its a topfin filter that came with the tank but what filter can i get to replace it that will put out a full stream all the time. especially after a couple months. i was thinking aqua clear because ive heard good things about them but will they fit my needs and are theyre any flaws to them?

AC's are good. Also, the Marineland Biowheels like the Emperors and Penguins are good too, but will have the sound of flowing water. If you don't mind the sound, as I like it myself, then they are excellent filters as well. Or if you want to go virtually silent, then a cannister is the way to go.

I only buy AC HOB's.

still, about once a month you need to pull the motor off, pull the impeller, clean the inside with a q-tip, and then re-assemble. This keeps it from slowing down, although it'll never run as poorly as a topfin ;)

ya this was my 1st tank buy before i knews anything really and it came as a kit and so far the only thing i actually like frm the kit is the tank itself. i got new lights, filter wont go high enough for treatments and filter now isnt to great

I currently run an AC 20 on my 10 gallon. Great filter, I'd certainly buy it again if given the chance.

I too find I need to clean the impeller once a month or so too- mine will refuse to turn on when I plug it back in after a water change whenever it needs cleaning.

after getting a lot of blue green algae ive read that it is caused by bad filtration

IME I have not read that to be the cause of BGA (cyanobacteria, which is not algae at all btw). BGA is usually caused by low NO3 levels. That said, if your filter is not giving enough circulation, then your NO3 is not going to get everywhere it needs to be.

The following technique is paraphrased from some advice I got from Tom Barr on the subject.

To get rid of BGA; a thorough tank cleaning, Partial water change (50%), and then remove as much of the BGA as you can by hand, clean the filter, and vacuum the substrate if it has a lot of mulm.
Then do another 50% water change, add KNO3 (approximately 1/4 tsp/25 gallons), turn off the lights and CO2 then cover the tank so no light get in for 3 full days. You can use 2 layers of trashbags to cover it so that no light gets in. Don't peek, don't feed, keep the light in the room low...this is a complete blackout you are trying for.

After 3 days, take the bags off and turn everything back on, do another 50% water change. From there you should be in good shape. Poor NO3=> BGA again.

You can use arythromycin (Marycyn), follow the package directions and it will kill and get rid of the BGA in a day or two. The meds just kill it for awhile, maybe 1 -2 months before it come back if you do not correct the problem that allowed it to grow in the first place.

BGA=Low nitrates, but high nitrates do not kill it or remove it, they just prevent it.

ive done that one when my bga was real bad, now i added nitrogen to get it up to 10 and now its there, (going to check again today) and it went away but came back in some small areas which i removed manually and now its in my 36 but its not planted really. but my filter just isnt good at all anyway so i felt i needed a new one.

also i read on here ( i think) that new charcoal in filters take outs good nutrients you want in planted tanks. when i buy the new ac filter should i take out the charcoal and just use foam or use the charcoal, or use some other kind of media?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom