Filter problem and feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A couple of weeks ago, it appeared that my filter media had clogged because the water was overflowing from above the intake tube as well as flowing out from the usual place (love my grasp of terminology?).

I chalked it up to needing to replace the charcoal filter insert, which was wayyyy overdue. So I did and it was working just fine.

But now it's started overflowing again -- the filter replacement is not old enough to get clogged so quickly. I've gently rinsed the other media (that white fibrous insert that the instructions say I'm never supposed to replace), but that didn't help.

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it? I'm going to be away for six days over Christmas and I don't want to come back to dead fish because the filter didn't filter while I was gone.

ALSO, second question: This will be the first time I've been away since I set up the tank (my first). I've read that fish can do quite nicely for a few days without food. But what about six? Is that pushing it?

There is no time that a filter is supposed to last. You can rinse them in drain water from your tank when you do a water change. The filter life depends on the amount of debris in the tank. If in doubt, put in a new one before you leave. Fish can go without food for several days. For longer periods, I would invest in a automatic feeder. They are not expensive.

I'm not sure exactly how to answer your filtration question because I don't know what kind of filter it is, but I can help you on the feeding part. If you were to go to a lfs they would probably tell you to purchase Weekend Feeders. Do not under any circumstances buy one of these. They do not work and they end up making a mess in your tank. And sometimes, if you have a pleco, it will stick itself on the feeder and will eat for the entire time. I would recommend going to either Wal-Mart or your lfs and purchasing an automatic flake feeder. I normally do not ever recommend going to Wal-Mart for fish supplies because of their lack of quality but I noticed today that the lfs sold the same automatic feeder that Wal-Mart does for twice the price. Six days may be pushing it. I wouldn't recommend anything over 3 if you are really attached to your fish. Some may say that 6 is fine, but just for caution, we don't go over 3.

Back
Top Bottom