Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I have a new 56 gallon tall (or column) tank I am setting up for 12 mbunas. The tank is 30x18x24. I have a Rena XP3 and a Penguin 350 that I was going to use.

Two questions.

1) Problem is the center bracket (crossbar) cuts off the length of the tank I can use for the Penguin 350 and side HOB is not feasible because of the glass canopy. I really wanted two biowheels, but don't want to overcrowd the tank with filter systems. Should I just go with a Penguin 200 (one bio-wheel) with the XP3 or should I have two HOBs and the Xena?

2) On the XP3 should I use the spray or jet nossle attachement? I know mbunas like the current, but have never used a canister before.

Any help is appreciated.

why not just 2 canisters? i am not big on bio wheels. i like the spray bar but the jet nossle is also fine.

12 mbunas in that flloor space will cause a lot of fighting. I have 7 in my 46 gallon, same footprint and there are a lot of territorial squables with them.
The XP3 should be more than enough filter for that tank by itself. Mbuna are not dirty fish, they do like to excavate so make sure your filter intake is about the middle of the tank and not near the bottom or you may find it burried.

I took one of the extensions off and went ahead and added an Aqua Clear 70 just to improve filtration.

I think I am going to use the following species

Salousi - 1 male, 3 females
Lavendar Mbuna - 1 male 2 females
Acei or Afra - 1 male, 2 females (if things are going well)
Syndontis Pletrcola - 1

These are all pretty docile species. I might go demasoni instead of Acei as I have a friend with the same tank and he has demasoni and salousi together.

Wanted to do red zebras, but with that space it seemed like it might cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom