Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on ordering a second filter today to put on my 55 gallon mainly for the purpose of making sure I have a filter ready to go if I ever need a quarantine tank. Right now I am running an Emperor 400 and the new one is going to be a Hagen Aquaclear, mainly because of all the good things I have heard about them on this site. My quarantine tank will probably end up being 10 gallons so I was originally planning on the HA 20 (100 gph) but I also thought maybe I should get the HA 30 (150 gph) so I would have a filter ready for when I start a smaller aquarium for the kids, even though that may be a while down the road. Would the 150 gph model be too much water flow for a 10 gallon tank?

Most filters have adjustments so you can turn the water flow down, read the specs to find what the maximum and minimum flow is. Since it's a backup filter, just put it on the minimum setting.

The Aquaclears have adjustable flow. I think you can reduce the flow down to two-thirds of the peak. Not sure, but I think that's what I remember reading.

You'd probably be ok with either filter on a 10g. I have an AQ20 on a 20L and it is very adequate. I have the filter at one end of the tank and I still get decent flow at the other end.

For a QT tank I would go with a sponge filter when needed and not a hang-on style filter.

My Bio-Wheels have an extra slot in them, and I would just get some polyfiber or sponge stuff to go in there to collect bacteria.
I have an AquaClear in my betta tank just because you CAN adjust the flow. You can adjust it to just about nothing. I like it, although it tends to get a little noisy.

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to wait a day or two before ordering to do a little more research once I saw the suggestion of the sponge filter. Being new to this hobby I wasn't familiar with sponge filters at all. After researching this I am beginning to think it might be nice, and a lot less expensive, to go with the sponge filter. Not only for the cost factor but it looks like it would add a good amount of biological filtration to my main tank.

Back
Top Bottom