filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a HOB filter that came with a starter kit i bought back in may,its a aquatech power filter 5-15 ( i have a 10 gallon tank).i was told that i can remove the carbon in it and put some filter floss.i heard too tho that 100% polyester can do the same as replacement of the filter floss, that it does the same thing, i guess its cheaper to get. is this true? and another thing is that i wanted to replace my cartridge with a new one just because the cartride and the carbon have been growing some nasty white fuzzy fungus on it and i clean it and just seems to come back.would getting a new cartridge be a bad thing .i know changing it every month as the manufactures instructions say to do is not necessary until its almost falling apart but the cartridge and the carbon are looking so gross that its bothering me.and im wondering if it could be the cause of my ammonia levels not going completly down to 0.( currently it has stayed at .25) and well the nitrites are 0 and nitrates 20.so is it a good idea to change my cartridge and remove the carbon and stuff some 100% polyester in it? or is the filter floss better?IMG_7165.jpg

I would just go with the filter floss. It is relatively cheap and you get a lot in a bag.

Back
Top Bottom