Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is a good brand of filter? There's quite a bunch of filters out there and I was wondering if there was a certain brand that y'all prefer/suggest . Bc I've got my 30g and my 15g tank filters on my 30g. (Mainly because it keeps my tank super clear and I like the idea of having a back up one in case one screws up) lol rather be safe than sorry and have dead fish ! So I was just asking about good filters:) thanks in advance!

Aquaclear if you're going with a HOB.

Ok I feel stupid asking but what is HOB? Lol I should know this but idk what that stands for... Guess I need to learn this mess if I'm going to have an aquarium lol

Filter Question

What is a good brand of filter? There's quite a bunch of filters out there and I was wondering if there was a certain brand that y'all prefer/suggest . Bc I've got my 30g and my 15g tank filters on my 30g. (Mainly because it keeps my tank super clear and I like the idea of having a back up one in case one screws up) lol rather be safe than sorry and have dead fish ! So I was just asking about good filters:) thanks in advance!

Hello Nik...

One of the most popular filters that just hangs on the back of the tank (HOB) is Hagen AquaClear. I've used these same filters in my tanks for several years with no problems. Just get one with a gallon per hour (gph) rating about 4 times the volume of your tank and change out half the tank water every week and you'll have no water problems.

B

Thanks B ! I feel like an idiot not knowing terms and abbreviations and all that aquarium language lol I really should research but I get too distracted easily lol what other kinds of filters Are there besides the HOB ones?

Thanks B ! I feel like an idiot not knowing terms and abbreviations and all that aquarium language lol I really should research but I get too distracted easily lol what other kinds of filters Are there besides the HOB ones?

You'll catch with the acronyms. If not just ask.

Other than HOBs there are:
Canisters
Internal power filters
Sump based
Under gravel

I'd stay away from the under gravel filters. They tend to create a lot of anaerobic space underneath them as well as allowing a build of of detritus that is nearly impossible to clean without taking out the plates. I upgraded my 2 larger tanks (55 and 75 gal) to canister filters a few months ago and I love them. They provide customizable media, a larger filtration area and run much quieter than hob filters. I got the API filstar filters, the large one rated for something like 110 gals I think is on the 75 and the medium rated for 75 gal is on the 55. They make a small one that's rated for 45 gals that would work great in your 30 and keep it nice and clean.

HOB's are great for a lower cost filter. I used HOB's for around 15 years. In the past few years I've started using canisters and they are a big improvement. I still prefer a homemade wet / dry filter but for ease of use you cannot beat a canister.

Back
Top Bottom