Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
First...a small amount of background.

In a saltwater tank you can run what is called a Berlin system. Short version is that you depend on water circulation to keep the dead spots in check and the bacteria to break down the ammonia and nitrites.

Why can we not do the same with a pond. The LFS is trying to sell me a biological filter. Why...to grow bacteria? That will happen in the pond. It should grow on the rock, the liner, the pots...so why, with all the surface area in the pond, would I need a bucket of bio balls to grow bacteria? I can understand a large filter floss pad to pull the floating particles out of the water column, but not for the Nitrogen Cycle. Right now, I am running my pond filterless. I have it designed to where i can very easily install a filter, but I think I am just going to use a rubber maid with some filter floss unless someone can give me a reason I shouldnt.

Also..a skimmer isnt really needed on mine. Its a brand new subdivision and there are no trees on the lot.

Please...opinions!

Thanks,
Squishy

This is my first foray into pond building and maintenance. I reviewed all of the options available with my local shop, researched on the web, and consulted a friend that builds this stuff for a living.

I settled on a biofalls... it has a circulation chamber, the filter pad, and bag to hold about ten pounds of lava rock. It is fed through the pump, which drives the water through a UV light to the falls.

Over the past few days (TONS of rain), I noticed the surfaces of the falls area were getting really bright green algae, and some odd spots I haven't figured out yet. I finally decided the filter needed cleaning, so out all the components came, I washed them, replaced them, and who knows...

Now, does the foam on the pond mean anything? Dunno. Fish and plants seem healthy, and the water is clear, with minimal algae on the bottom after slightly over a month. Does this mean theres a nice balance? Could be. Not sure about the bacteria thing. Again, I had been shuttin' 'er down every night. It now runs full time (fountain and lights are still on the timer).

Not sure if I helped... use what you need.

The algae on the rocks would be fed by nitrates...those maybe high because lava rock go from biological filtration to mechanical filtration when the holes start trapping dirt and debris. That would be my guess about the algae on the falls. The lack of algae in the water is due to the UV light...

Thanks for the responce...but I think the question is still in the air.

Figured it was... wish I could help you more, but I'm still pretty new at this. If you wait a year maybe I can answer it! :D

LOL..by then I'm sure I will know the answer to that and much more..both of us will! :mrgreen:

After season 2 of my pond, I removed all bio-balls. I have filter pad only, just to catch the big stuff. Agree 100%, all nitrification is done on surface areas in the stream and pond.

You know I cannot resist adding this: lots of submerged plants!!! floaters too!

See my sig line, If there is one thing I believe in absolutely with this hobby, that's it!

Thanks! Thats exactly what I was thinking. I think I'm going to take a rubber maid tub, fill it full of filter floss and let it run!

Thanks again.

And my plant stock is really low only because I cant spend 300.00 to stock the pond all in one shot. It will get there! :mrgreen:

Squishy, I totally understand the $$$ situation. One of the best things about plants, esp. floaters and oxygenators, is that they normally reproduce like mad. At least mine do, I have to throw stuff on the compost heap all summer, every year. In any case, just spend a few bucks on a couple portions of jungle val (Valesineria Americana) It's tough, spreads fairly quickly, and the leaves get very long, which would be great for your situation squishy, since you have a deep pond. If your pond supply place doesn't have it, check the aquarium shops, they may have it.

Do you have a photo of it? Most of the reps at the LFS have a hard time figuring out which one is Anacharis... :roll:

And I checked your gallery...no pics of your pond?

Back
Top Bottom