Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I have already asked opinions on HOB filter vs a canister filter for a 20long. I have decided to go with an AC50. I am going to position it on the side of the aquarium to try and get more flow through the length of the tank, rather than positioning it on the back and have it plaster the front wall. My question is whether or not to get 2 AC30s and have one on both sides of the tank? I'm sure the AC50 would be fine, but it just another thought I had for filters. Do you think there is any perks to having one on each side of the tank or would that be too much conflicting current? I plan on stocking the tank with a combination of Harlequin Rasboras, corys and another schooling fish.

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I have already asked opinions on HOB filter vs a canister filter for a 20long. I have decided to go with an AC50. I am going to position it on the side of the aquarium to try and get more flow through the length of the tank, rather than positioning it on the back and have it plaster the front wall. My question is whether or not to get 2 AC30s and have one on both sides of the tank? I'm sure the AC50 would be fine, but it just another thought I had for filters. Do you think there is any perks to having one on each side of the tank or would that be too much conflicting current? I plan on stocking the tank with a combination of Harlequin Rasboras, corys and another schooling fish.

Thanks!

Redundancy is always an advantage of two filters. One filter dies and the other keeps flow going. I always recommend it. Either that or plant the heck out of the tank. Wait, no, I always say both. :)

However, Why are you trying for a heavy current? Many smaller species are not good with heavy current. And that is not a directional current... your going to have a lot of turbulence.

Thanks for the reply. That's why I was asking about conflicting currents. So I think I'll stick with a AC50 on the side.

Back
Top Bottom