Filter Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMLove9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 47 gallon bowed tank. I have a regular over the edge filter (Penguin). I have been looking into improving my filtration system since I will be putting a freshwater stingray in the tank.

Can anyone tell me about canister filters such as those Fluval Filters or should I just add another Emperor type filter onto the back.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Welcome to AA!!!

I have a 46bow tank that I originally ran an emporer 280 on. I too was unhappy with the filtration, so I've since upgraded to a Rena XP3, and doubled the spraybar (i.e. bought a replcement spraybar and hooked the 2 together). The filtration now is awesome, water stays crystal clear all the time. Petsmart's pricematch policy can save you a lot of money on the XP3, I think I got mine for $104.

I ran both in parallel for about 6 weeks before putting the media from the HOB into the canister and taking the HOB off for good. I've never looked back.

Thank you for the advice. The other problem I have is that I have sand and the sand gets kicked up into the filter. What is the best way to solve or is there a filter that solves the problem by itself?

You can adjust the height of the intake, or you can use what is called a pre-filter, which is essentially a sponge, that wraps around the intake strainer inside the tank. This keeps out the larger particles from making it into the filter.

I would go with raising the height of the filter intake rather than a prefilter. That way the larger debris get taken into the filter intake still.

Go for a canister. Eheims are excellent, but pricey. Fluval and Rena are cheaper- I use both brands and have been satisfied. I like the prefilter solution. It cuts down on the canister maintenance, as long as you rinse the sponge with every water change. JMO.

I'm not trying to go off topic here, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware that even the smallest species of FW stingray, to my knowledge, will outgrow a 47 bowfront. The minimum tank size for adult specimens would be a 125, 72"x18".

If you go with Rena XP3's it should have a problem with sand as long as you make the intakes high enough to not pick up sand. I have had my two running for over a year with out prefilters and they have been fine. I do find sand particles in the fine filter foam and but thats it.

Also as Severum Mama stated, your not going to be able to keep a freshwater ray very long in a 47gal.

Thank you for all the help. I agree about the size of the tank for a stingray. However, I will probably get a teacup and transfer to a 160 gallon I have (not set up yet - waiting to move).

Back
Top Bottom