Filter setup 37 Gallon Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

regulardrake

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a little help trying to deiced on what to do filter wise for my 37 gallon tall tank. I have been out of the fish keeping hobby for a while now because college/life took over and forced me too. Well now that things have settled a little bit and I started my own family; I got that aquarium itch again and ran over to my mom's house and uncovered my 37 gallon tall tank and took my xp3 from my 120 gallon tank. I would love to setup that 120 gallon again but I don't think we will be living at this home forever and don't want to have to haul that heavy sob again. One of these days it will be running again. I just want to make sure we wont be moving for the next 30 plus years. lol

Anyway to make a long story short I have been cleaning up my 37 gallon and the plan was to use my xp3 as the main filter and use the ball valve on the spray bar to slow the flow down a bit, so it's not blasting fish and stressing them out. Now this is where I need help on. I always liked the idea of having two filter one for a backup and just extra bio filtration. But I am afraid that an xp3 plus another canister filter will be WAY too much gph on a 37 gallon. So i am trying to deiced to either A) buy two smaller canister filters say a Marineland C-160 which is rated for 30 gallons and it would be a total of 60 gallons or ~320 GPH or B) stick to my original plan keep my xp3 and save myself 200 bucks.

I reckon try it first and see if you can save the money. I pack extra biomedia and filter wool in to slow them down.

I reckon try it first and see if you can save the money. I pack extra biomedia and filter wool in to slow them down.

Yeah after thinking about it more for a couple of days. I decied that would be a waste of money :facepalm:

Hello reg...

A filter that hangs on the back of the tank will do the same job as the canister for a third the cost. Unless you're planning on keeping and breeding rare fish, you really don't need high end filtration equipment. A Hagen AC50 will cost about $40.00. It will do a good job of filtering and aerating the water without creating a strong current. Add to this large, frequent water changes and the fish and plants will do very well. There's no need to take out a second mortgage if a basic, 37 G tank will satisfy your tank craving.

B

Back
Top Bottom