Filter system confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 75 gal SW tank is in cycle stage at the moment. I will be stocking it with fish , LR , and some corals in the future. I am using a Fluval 404 canister, and i'm thinking about adding a Marineland 400 Wet Dry Bio wheel filter as well. The guy at my LFS says that bio wheel helps removes amonia...
But, someone on here also mentioned that bio wheel increases nitrate. So, should i use it or no? Could someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

the bio wheel does increse nitrates. you should not use it. basically, it will become a nutrient sink, and instead of removing nitrates it will add them back into the tank. if you really want to run it, take out the biowheel.

why do you want to add the additional filter? if it were me, i would simply add powerheads for additional circulation. you already have a filter! no need for another!

If you use at least 1 pound per gallon of LR you should not need additional filtration with a normal bioload. Put the money towards a good skimmer and a few PH's. If you want to keep using the fluval use it for GAC only and clean it often. Good Luck.

I installed 2 PH last night. Ditched the Bio Wheel. BTW,what is a good skimmer to get? I need one that doesn't drip SW all over my hardwood floor.

Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. Don't even consider the Prizm or Prizm Pro if you like your hardwood unsalted.

Back
Top Bottom