Filter wool versus fine sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Cleaned out the canister filter today which has a combination of biomedia, sponges of different grades and filter wool mats.

I'm considering swapping the filter wool mats to fine sponge instead. Wondered if people find sponge or filter wool better for filtering?

It's mostly convenience. The sponge would be easier to clean maybe. Other option would be to buy a bag of filter wool I guess.

I use yhe bag of wool for my canister and aquaclear hobs. I like it because it's cheap and can fit anywhere.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i use polyester wadding and it works out a lot cheaper,here is a picture of what it looks like.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459020922.366121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's tempting. Does anyone ever get troubles with filter wool bits getting caught on the impeller?

I've seen a few fibers wrapped around the impeller fins but not in a way to cause problems. That was before I added screens/sponges to the HOB filter intake (for keeping shrimp/snails out).

in my opinion this is better than filter wool because you can cut it to size just like a sponge...but if you prefer to use filter wool you can put a pre filter and then you wouldn't have problems with the filter wool getting in the impeller..this is the pre filter or filter booster...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459089421.769028.jpg

Many thanks, I'll check out the fish shops next weekend. I probably have enough room in the tray to experiment a little.

one big benefit of sponges over filter wool/floss is that sponges don't compress over time. Filter wool has the tendency to compress over time and that leads to bypass channels and slower flow rates.
Filter wool is more suited to air driven filters or situations where the flow rate is not so great to cause it to compact.

for temporary use to "polish" the water, filter wool works great.
I have a 12" length of 2" PVC that I screw onto a MAG 5 pump, stuff with wool and use that for extra fine particle removal at times.

Yes, that's it exactly. The filter wool pads looked nice going in but when I cleaned them out I just thought maybe there is something easier and smarter as they were bit of a sodden, uneven mess. The fine sponge filter pad seemed to be trapping more as well compared to the wool pads but that could of just been my imagination.

Darn well just about put my back out this time carrying it outside. I had doubled the biomedia so was thinking of cutting that back as well and adding something else in that tray as well.

Back
Top Bottom