filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillygirl423

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do the ammonia reducing filters work? I know that if the ammonia is too high I need to do a pwc will the filter help bring it down too?

Are you cycling? Are there fish?

Best ways to reduce ammonia: water changes, complete dechlorinator that removes ammonia (like Prime), ammo chips as a last resort.

Cycling was done about 3 years ago, have quite a few fish in there. Gonna start with the water changes should it 50% at a time?

Hm, if the cycle was completed do you know what's causing the ammonia spike? In a well established tank there shouldn't be any ammonia. Did you replace the filters? Are you doing regular weekly water changes? Do you vacuum the gravel regularly?

How high the ammonia is will dictate the amount of water to change. You want ammonia and nitrites to be <0.25 at all times (should always be 0 in a properly cycled tank) and nitrates kept under 20 (with weekly water changes). So if your ammonia is .5, you'll want to do at least a 60% water change to get it down under 0.25.

If you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels can you post them here?

Do the ammonia reducing filters work? I know that if the ammonia is too high I need to do a pwc will the filter help bring it down too?

The best ammonia reducing filter is the Beneficial Bacteria in the Biological Filtration and Plants (can use it as nutrients). Some filters allow for more areas for the BB to colonize ... but there's no need to get a specific ammonia reducing filter.

PWC's are always a good way to reduce excess ammo during a spike, but in an established tank PWC's should be more for reducing excess Nitrates and replenishing other nutrients / ions.

Back
Top Bottom