filteration for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
would and aquaclear 50 and 20 be enough filteration this tank is for mbuna the stocking is maylandia aurora 1m 3f
melanochromis joanjohnsonae 1m 3f
pseudotropheus elongatus likoma 1m 3f
cynotilipia afra likoma 1m 3f
thanks

I say no. Mbuna are messy fish and that is a pretty stocked tank. I'd get a cannister filter because you really need to overfilter with Mbuna. I have a Rena XP3 on my 55g with Malawians and it wasn't enough...I had to add an Aquaclear 70. Hope that gives you an idea of their waste production. :)

i know there messy fish they really are exspecially the ones in my 32 gallon theres just to many they keep breeding to i just got a new batch of fry today lol.

Mbuna are very messy fish. Our 29G Demasoni tank has a AC50 and a Eheim 2213 on it and I'm running (2) Eheim 2217's on our 55G mixed mbuna tank. With these fish you definitely want to err on the side of 'too much'...

I like the XP3 over the magnums from experiance.

I run 2 on the tank I am setting up for Mbuna

well im trying not to spend to much do you think the magnums will work or should i go with something else?

I have a Emperor 400 and a HOT Magnum 250 on my 55 with CA Cichlids. I did not want a cannister because I have an open stand. These filters provide "over" filtration and work great.

XP3 is only 84 dollars with pricematch and rebate from Petsmart :)

HOT Magnums are nice for water polishing, but I wouldn't use one full time. 2 AquaClear 70's may be the best way to go, if money is an object. For some strange reason, I don't see them listed anymore on BigAl's website.

I have a HOT Magnum and am not a big fan of this filter for everyday use, I do not use carbon in my filters unless I am removing Meds. It is hard to use with just filter floss and sponges. Good water polisher, and that is all I use it for any more. IMO you would be better with an Aqua Clear 110 then the Hot Magnum. JMO

alright thanks i called my petsmart and there xp3 was over $230 so i think ill go with the aquaclears and yes i saw that bigals doesnt have ac's on there site anymore. thanks for all the replies.

I do not use carbon with the Hang-on Magnum. The Emperor 400 provides most of the filtration. The Magnum moves a lot of water for current and does okay with mechanical filtration. If I had an oak or covered stand, I would go with a cannister below the tank. However, I went with the Magnum hang-on instead of two hang-on power filters mainly for the increase in water flow from the Magnum. I like to have a fairly strong current and did not want to also purchase a powerhead in addition to two filters. I don't use it for polishing, no need, the water is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom