Filtering a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would a 70 gallon Aquaclear filter be okay on a 55 gallon tank? Or should do 2 50 gallon filters?

I always try get the higher filter! heard good things about aquaclear 110.
i just switched to a canister yesterday so far I like it, but too soon for any real review :)

Filtering Your 55 G

Would a 70 gallon Aquaclear filter be okay on a 55 gallon tank? Or should do 2 50 gallon filters?

Hello Psy...

If you're very good about doing your water changes every week or so, then an AC 70 will be fine. A lot of water keepers feel the need to over filter their tanks, but filters do a very poor job of keeping the water clean. They really only take in toxic water and return water that's a bit less toxic.

Just change a good percentage of the tank water regularly and your tank will be fine.

B

If you have a densely planted tank and a lite stock than the AC70 is plenty, but if you have cichlids, no plants, and the tank is over stocked, then it will not be enough.

I have 2-55g tanks and run Fluval 406 canisters on them. The reason I like the canisters is because they have a ton of media capacity and good water flow with an adjustable outflow unlike you have with an HOB which just flows out.

Back
Top Bottom