filterless 5 gal, heavily planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been busy as heck getting this class passed (officially a certified nursing assistant) and finally class is over so I want to celebrate with a new idea. This week I've been reading about "natural tanks" that require no filter. I would still use lights, c02, and ferts, so it wouldn't be exactly natural, but still filterless.
Any thoughts on this?
My substrate would be dirt (mineralized soil), topped with little clay balls in rows, then covered in black sand, probobly an inch to 1.4 inch thick. Drift wood, and rocks I find hiking (I like in ky. Limestone might be cool if it checks out)
I want plants that will naturally suck out as much bad stuff as possible (stem plants, I've read, and floater plants are good, like water lettuce or somthing like that)
My hope would be to have 1 betta inhabit this, and maybe 1 or 2 amano shrimp, to combat algea blooms.
I also might add a really small fan and set it blowing from the bottom up to circulate the water, and of course proper lighting, which I'm currently readin up for deck lamps or somthing with proter wtt. Bulb

Anyone with experience? I'm getting the soil and sand this weekend, and will be running cycled and filtered until plants and lights. But I plant on havin a fierce mts pop. To areate the soil/sand. Right now all levels are 0, and its been running empty, aside from mts, and a betta, who is just there to keep filter goin I guess lol

Some of my club members have Shrimp Bowls. I had no filter on my fish tank for a few weeks. Just did water changes.

It should work fine IMHO.

I did a 1.5 with my Betta with Moss and Anubias. He's currently cycling a 10g but his tank did great. No CO2. Just light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom