filters and sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdiemc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm the new guy at a really good LFS and i'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible, but it's a lot to take in. i set up my 55gal with 30 lbs LR, about 2" sand bed, continuous siphon overflow, wet-dry, skimmer. it's cycled, and i have 1 blue devil, 1 blue green chromis, and 2 silver mono's (?) everything's good... i've read alot on various websites, and it seems the majority of ppl here are against wet-dry set up. i don't know enough yet to say one way or the other, but it just seems that without some type of mechanical filtration you're gonna get a lot of waste buildup on your substrate? i guess i just want to hear some more facts about filtration. and another thing.... what's everybody's opinion on using a rubber-made tub for a sump? i was considering it, but all the LFS's i went to advised against it. my common sense says it would do just as well as a $150 acrylic sump but what's the opinios out there?

I'm not sure about the rubber-made deal. I just bought cheap all glass tanks and added baffles to them and used them as sumps/fuges. So far they are working just fine and I have maybe $55 in the both of them. (one 10gal and one 20gal tall) HTH

The rubber maid tub is just as good. The LFS want to sell you something. It will make a good sump and give you added water volume. I am a firm believer thast LR ( 1.5 -2 LBS per gallon) and a skimmer is all that is needed. For about 6 yrs that is all I had. I now have the same but a refugium now

Back
Top Bottom