Filters questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have:

60 Gallon tank
2 Marineland 200B Penguin Filters
1 Top Fin 300w heater

It's cycling now, going on week 6 :whistle: and I plan on adding Mbuna's, about 20 of them. My question is I wanted to get a canister filer, and was looking at either the Fluval 405 or the Fx5. Is the Fx5 too much for my size tank and my planned stock?

Thanks in advance!

photo.jpg

IMO there's no reason to get the FX5 for a 55 gallon even though you will be stocking heavily with Mbuna. The 405 should work out just fine.

Was just wondering, because there is only a $60 difference.

Only $60 differene? Wow ... IDK ... an FX5 would be tempting ... but in your case, if your still keeping the penguins running then a 405 will do. Any chance your going to upgrade to a 75gal or larger in the next few months to year? If so then maybe the FX5 would be worth it. Even though a 405 is not to the same level as an Fx5 its still a very capable filter. Besides ... I'm sure $60 could really go to some nice Mbuna's!

I don't think I'm going to upgrade the tank anytime soon. I might get rid of the HOB filters though, they are so loud.

I'll defer from now on to members experienced with mbuna's since you'd only go with one canister. I'd still think a 405 would provide enough filtration ... even for 20 mbuna's. In the end doesn't matter if it's a 405 or Fx5 ... nitrates will build up regardless.

If you go with the 405, any thoughts on the media you'd use? I highly recommend using 100% Poly-fill on the bottom tray ... really helps to "polish" the water by collecting the micro stuff the foam pads don't.

I would get as much filtration as I can afford! On my 55g I'm running and eheim pro2 and a cheap but good canister off eBay for 2100l/h. Cichlids are very messy, an FX5 can't hurt if you ask me

Back
Top Bottom