Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeaceLoveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a ten gallon tank and I want to move to a 40 gallon. If I take the filter from the 10 and put it on the 40, along with the new filter, will it help the tank cycle faster?

Yep, just remember that the bacteria on the 10 gals filter holds just enough bacteria for that amount of fish that was in the 10 gal. Are you planning to move over the fish from the 10 gal too and then add more? If so, move everything over and let it run for a week or so. Test the water daily just in case there are any toxin spikes but you shouldn't see any. Then when you want to add more fish do it slowly, just 1-3 fish at a time depending on size, test the water daily after each addition, when ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 for a couple of weeks then you can add more. Just research fish first to make sure they'll fit in your tank and be compatible with what you have in there already. Good luck. :)

Thank you! Just on more question. If I put water in it today and treat it, can I transfer the fish with the filter also? Or do I still have to wait a couple days?

Yes, you can transfer the fish at the same time as your filter. Just make sure you temperature match the new tanks water temp to the temp of your old tank. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom