Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I worry about to many filters. I have a well stocked and well planted FW community tank. I had 1 900LPH external filter with a internal filter for extra flow. I have decided to get a second external filter after a friend had the bad luck of his external filter stopped working. Due to this I now have 2 external filters. Both suitable to do the job alone. Will I be over filtering. Is that even possible. I see this as a safe guard or will it cause more issues. I do water changes every 4 days. All water chemistry is spot on at the mo. tank is about 8 months old.

I say your good (without seeing it)! The only concern I'd (maybe) have is too much water movement blowing plants or fish around. You'll have to go thru a test period if you will to see how the tank functions. Its all your preference tho. Good Luck!

Should I worry about to many filters. I have a well stocked and well planted FW community tank. I had 1 900LPH external filter with a internal filter for extra flow. I have decided to get a second external filter after a friend had the bad luck of his external filter stopped working. Due to this I now have 2 external filters. Both suitable to do the job alone. Will I be over filtering. Is that even possible. I see this as a safe guard or will it cause more issues. I do water changes every 4 days. All water chemistry is spot on at the mo. tank is about 8 months old.

Hello V...

If you change out half the tank water weekly, then there's no need to over filter your tank. The filters will simply be filtering water that's already clean. All you need is a filter or two filters with a combined gph (gallons per hour) rating of roughly 6 times the volume of your tank.

B

A "well planted" tank actually needs less filtration than an unplanted tank. When you double filtration you split the load between the two filters, so you aren't really doubling actual filtration, just flow and capacity.
Overfiltering will in no way lessen the need for water changes nor will it alter the frequency. The bioload determines the minimum amount and frequency of water changes. Doing more than the minimum is beneficial in the long run, providing a buffer if you have to miss a scheduled partial water change.

Back
Top Bottom