Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

In June I will be rebooting my 20 Long and i have been debating on what type of filter to get. I have a mini canister filter from zoo med on my 5 gallon and it does a nice job of cleaning the tank. The water is always clear.

For the 20 Long I previously use an AC 50. I had a lot of tannins in the water from drift wood so it was hard to tell how well the filter was working.

So my question is, what would be a good filter canister filter be for a 20 Long or should I stick with the AC 50?

I would also like to add to this post: what kind of substrate would you suggest? I currently use organic potting soil and that grows plants really well. Its really easy to get an algae bloom with that though, which is why I'm willing to try something different.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the reply. Do you think position matters that much? Either on the side of the tank or the back?

If you are able to mount the AC50 on the side, then you might be able to take advantage of the flow of the filter and the length of the tank. When mounted on the back, it makes it to the front wall and gets dispersed left and right (and up and down).

+1 for the end. Consider pool filter sand, or black diamond blasting media for substrate.

Aquaclears are the best IMO.

+1 for the end. Consider pool filter sand, or black diamond blasting media for substrate.

Aquaclears are the best IMO.

I currently have pool filter sand covering my soil. What else is out there? I'm familiar with ECO complete. I was reading about ADA aqua soil? Any other good and successful options out there?

Regardless of filter to pull tannins out youll need patience (wc) or imo purigen

Regardless of filter to pull tannins out youll need patience (wc) or imo purigen
Yeah I understand what purigen is and have used. It works well. However, I wasn't asking about taking the tannins out. I said it was difficult to see the effectiveness of the AC filter I had running.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep using an AC50 or buy a canister filter.

Aquaclears are great, have had canisters (great but $), but have Aquaclear ac110, two ac70's & an ac50 you can't beat them for the $.

+1 AC50. You should still be able to tell if the water is clear of suspended particles with tannins in it unless it looks like coffee. Wait till the lights go out and get a flashlight. Look in the end of the tank and shine the light through the front of the tank toward the back. Look through the light. You can see EVERYTHING floating in the water. It kind of "polarizes" suspended particulates so to speak.

I'm with the others, the AC50 is a good fit and I like the suggestion of end placement versus the backside.

However, if you are interested in a canister I'd suggest the API Filstar (Small). They are super easy to prime and start, they have nice sized media baskets supplying a variety of media options and are reasonably priced.

Some of the older versions came with an adjustable spray bar, which allowed you to adjust the flow - this could be very beneficial in smaller tanks like the 20L.

On the substrate, you can grow plants in sand, gravel, dirt, Ecco, bare bottoms with pots... so IMO it is really whatever you like. But I here you, algae blooms suck!

I'm with the other keepers, the AC50 is a good fit and I like the suggestion of end placement versus the backside.

However, if you are interested in a canister I'd suggest the API Filstar (Small). They are super easy to prime and start, they have nice sized media baskets supplying a variety of media options.

Some of the older versions came with an adjustable spray bar, which allowed you to adjust the flow....

On the substrate, you can grow plants in sand, gravel, dirt, Ecco, bare bottoms with pots... so IMO it is really whatever you like.
Thanks for the suggestions. I kinda like trying different things. I've already had experience with AC so I was looking for other suggestions. I'm in no way saying AC is bad, just possibly looking for different. Same goes for the substrate.

I hate HOB's. Seemed like just a bit o scum and the things would just quit running. I have a Sunsun 302 on my 20Long and rinse it out monthly. No problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. I kinda like trying different things. I've already had experience with AC so I was looking for other suggestions. I'm in no way saying AC is bad, just possibly looking for different. Same goes for the substrate.

I think that's a great attitude and sounds like me!

Unfortunately, in my case instead of changing things up.. I started a new tank with my new and different set up which = multiple tank syndrome!

[emoji16]

I think that's a great attitude and sounds like me!

Unfortunately, in my case instead of changing things up.. I started a new tank with my new and different set up which = multiple tank syndrome!

[emoji16]
Yeah, I moved out of my parents house and left the 10 and 20 behind. I took my 5 with me to my apartment haha. Now im buying a house so how I will be able to set all my tanks up again.

Idk why I set them all up. I always have horrible time with algae. I haven't quite figured out what I do wrong.

Also, I'm really interested in the new Fluval Flex tank. Won't be surprised if I bought that around Christmas lol.

Light is usually the biggest factor in algae.
I did have them on for 7 hrs a day, and then cut back to 6. I think I've noticed that there hasn't been an increase in growth. It's all remained the same. I've also cut back feeding to every other day.

Also, in regard to light, I use Finnex Planted+ on my five gallon. I haven't decided if the light is too strong.

Many people have to run those turned down, knock on wood I've still got mine on 24/7 mode which is 100%.

Many people have to run those turned down, knock on wood I've still got mine on 24/7 mode which is 100%.
I don't have the new 24/7 light. I have the normal one with white and red lights, and blue for night time. So maybe I need to find some kind of filter to tape to the bottom of the light. Do you have a suggestion for the type of material to use for that?

Back
Top Bottom