filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savy420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my fluval 404 just died on me and need another filter. i do not have fish anymore but 2 mapp turtles and am wondering if anyone has heard anything about a power filter by the name of Aqua Clear Aquarium Power Filters from petco 500 gph for up to 150 gallons model 500 for $35.99. it seems kind of cheap to me...can anyone explain what the difference between something like this and a fluval?? will this work for a large tank with turtles or do i need a wet dry type filter?? thanks for any advice you can give

The foam inserts are pretty hardy and don't really need replacing that often, at least not until they fall apart which takes a while. A number of folks run the AquaClear units with double sponges and clean the sponges alternately using the "rinse in old tank water" method so that is much less detrimental to your biological filter. Skip the activated carbon unless you're trying to remove meds. Big Al's had them on sale a couple of weeks ago at $31.99 for the AC500 (new model is AC110). Search the forum archives and you'll see that they are a favorite of many because of effectiveness, ease of use and low maintenence cost.

The AquaClear filter is called a HOB filter or, like the article says, HOTT (hang on the tank). In the article, you can see in the picture that you'll need some room behind the tank for the filter to hang on the rim of your tank. You'll have to make sure the hood will still fit with the AquaClear in place. The AquaClear is a very good filter. A lot of people here like it. But it won't stay as hidden as a canister filter does, under your stand, and it does add a little more "footprint" to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom